do snails sleep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a pretty large gold mystery snail who is really active. He does laps around the tank pretty fast, and digs some pretty big holes in the dirt. Then he just goes and sits in the back of the tank behind some plants under my bubble wand for awhile. Still, when he's staying still, he's either on the wall or on the gravel/sand. Today he was sitting there for a long time ... probably an hour, just lying cockeyed half on his side, with his shell half open. I thought he was dead. I've had him about a week and I guess I've never seen him stop moving before.

Maybe somebody was picking on him and he's too big to get his shell closed?

Also, can mystery snails drown? I thought they had a lung and a gill, so it shouldn't be a problem, but my tank is pretty deep, and it takes him awhile to get to the top, and when he gets to the top he looks like he's hyperventalating.

A well fed snail will often stay in one place for several hours or even a day or more. They're just sitting back digesting their food. Once they're hungry again, they take off trolling through the tank again.

Unless threatened they won't necessarily completely close their shell. If you pick up the snail he'll probably pull the rest of the way into his shell and close the door completely.

Aquatic snails can't drown. They're like Bettas in that they can breathe from the water or the surface.

Tostada said:
it takes him awhile to get to the top, and when he gets to the top he looks like he's hyperventalating.

He is filling his lung with air. If you look, you will see his syphon raised and he kinda bobs up and down tight. Yup, he is just filling his lung with fresh air.

Musket said:
Tostada said:
it takes him awhile to get to the top, and when he gets to the top he looks like he's hyperventalating.

He is filling his lung with air. If you look, you will see his syphon raised and he kinda bobs up and down tight. Yup, he is just filling his lung with fresh air.

I know. I was just saying that he's breathing very fast when he makes it to the top.

Back
Top Bottom