Do you add salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know with some fish it's a good idea to add a little bit of natural salt. I haven't read anything on it about cichlids though, what do you guys say?

Jakepen said:
I know with some fish it's a good idea to add a little bit of natural salt. I haven't read anything on it about cichlids though, what do you guys say?

Nope. Skip it unless you are treating an illness. It's been discussed a thousand times around here.

Oh ya hah, I stopped halfway thru. Not worth it than in my opinion. Just more maintenance where it doesn't seem necessary

Yeah, that thread kind of hurt. I only keep salt around in case ich rears its ugly head. And of course, to season the fish from my freezer! As far as I'm concerned, those are the only two reasons salt should be mixed with freshwater fish.

If I can add my 2 cents in here ;) The answer to adding salt is " It depends on which cichlids you are keeping and what your base water is." I haven't found a 1 only correct answer to this question. :D

( I started reading that thread that was suggested and I concur, headache material :blink: :lol:)

Back
Top Bottom