do you keep flying foxes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicshaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 flying foxes, and recently I have noticed that 1 of them looks rather fat! I'm wondering if she maybe pregnant. But then I read that they do not breed in captivity.
I hope she hasn't caught a diesease!
Does any body know any info on them? :?

A type of algae eater, closely related to the Siamese Algae Eater (SAE). Foxes have a rep of getting aggressive as they get older, but not SAE's. I only have SAE's 6 months or so, they look fat and happy. Observe her behaviour, if she's acting ok, she's prolly alriigt

ok they seem happy thankx. I thought it was strange as they always seem thin in the aquariumm books

ok they seem happy thankx. I thought it was strange as they always seem thin in the aquariumm books

Very true, mine look much fatter than most pics i've seen in books or online, but as you say, they haven't been bred in captivity, so I guess they are just fat and happy!

Wow, when I saw flying fox I was thinking the large bat that lives in Australia, and was wondering how you had a bat with a 3' wingspan in your tank.

flying fox

i have one flying fox , haven't a clue whether its male or female but its certainly fat, i've had it about 8 months now and it was quite quiet but entertaining when it was small, as it got bigger and fatter i wonderedf it may have to find a new home because it kept bullying my albino and panda corys. it would graze on their heads and generally distess them.however i watched and waited and now it seems to have settled down ,a very active participant in the tank but none the less quite harmless . any idea how i can tell whether its male or female?

Back
Top Bottom