Does a 20g make a good home for a GBR? Is my PH too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
Creating my list for my 20 high, do you think that is an appropriate size for a GBR? Is my PH too high for them to thrive at 7.2-7.4?

No, that should be just fine.

My advice to you is to find a breeder. I think you will find most LFS stock to be as short-lived and disappointing as many of the rest of us. LOL. If you have an aquarium club in your area, that would be a great place to start. Otherwise I would recommend Aquabid. Most of the GBRs you will find at the LFS are just really poor stock.

Sounds fine to me. GBR's are kind of hit or miss though. Seems as if a lot of them are pretty weak. But they are beautiful fish. I'd like to get a pair myself.

EDIT: ^She beat me

No, that should be just fine.

My advice to you is to find a breeder. I think you will find most LFS stock to be as short-lived and disappointing as many of the rest of us. LOL. If you have an aquarium club in your area, that would be a great place to start. Otherwise I would recommend Aquabid. Most of the GBRs you will find at the LFS are just really poor stock.

Good to know, I'll have to check online. I live in such a small town I wouldn't expect to find anything locally :(

Are Glo fish suitable tank mates for them?

Sounds fine to me. GBR's are kind of hit or miss though. Seems as if a lot of them are pretty weak. But they are beautiful fish. I'd like to get a pair myself.

EDIT: ^She beat me

Wait people seem to always have a pair..do I need two or is one OK?

One is fine.

Glo fish are really active, they may stress a calmer fish like a ram. I have not kept them together so that is just a guess.

Ok cool. I'm thinking just the one with a few kuhli's, a couple otto's, and a school of glo fish. Sound good? Any exact numbers you'd go with on those?

One is fine.

Glo fish are really active, they may stress a calmer fish like a ram. I have not kept them together so that is just a guess.

Ah OK. I haven't kept any kind of danio yet so I'm not real familiar with them. Any suggestions as to good tankmates to help fill out the top and middle?

Hmm. I could pull the neons out of my 29 and put the Glo fish in there instead. Do glo's get nippy?

Harlequin rasbora, neon tetra, cardinal tetra, espei rasbora, ember tetra, hatchets, glowlight danio, glowlight tetra, gold ring danio, Pseudomugil signifer, Pseudomugil gertrudae, Pseudomugil furcatus, etc.

Ok thanks. I sure with I had a better selection locally...most of those I never see :(

I know I know it's just more spendy and I'm already gonna have to order the GBR :roll:

That's what I always aim for, to find everything I want from one seller, but it doesn't always work out that way for me.

hmmm... you could always check with severum mama ;)... or just to put a non biased option in there... live aquaria is pretty close to you so shipping wouldn't be totally ridiculous for you like it would be for me from them

oh really...I thought LA required overnight shipping..that's always hiiiigh. I'm cheap lol

Back
Top Bottom