Does any prefer not to feed live food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like actual living food or frozen live food? Not quite clear on the question. Keeping live food is certainly a chore in itself so that can be a turnoff right there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Like actual living food or frozen live food? Not quite clear on the question. Keeping live food is certainly a chore in itself so that can be a turnoff right there

Well all I guess. I am adding frozen and frees dried in to the fray although it is not technically 'live'

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Frozen and freeze dried is worlds apart from true live foods. Like Brookster said keeping LIVE food can be a pita, whether its a culture of worms, or a tank of feeder fish. When I was around 10 years old I kept a bunch of crickets and meal worms for an Iguana I had because the closest place to buy them was over an hour away. I wouldn't do it again. Only live food I deal with now is earthworms because I can keep them in my refrigerator and buy them at local gas stations and bait shops. Frozen and freeze dried is much easier. No different than feeding flakes IMO.

I wouldn't use freeze dried over frozen. As far as the live live goes.. i keep a scud colony going. It's very simple. A little Rubbermaid tote, unheated, small wc every so often. Throw krill pellets and cucumber in a few times a week.. some plant trimmings.

Frozen and freeze dried is worlds apart from true live foods. Like Brookster said keeping LIVE food can be a pita, whether its a culture of worms, or a tank of feeder fish. When I was around 10 years old I kept a bunch of crickets and meal worms for an Iguana I had because the closest place to buy them was over an hour away. I wouldn't do it again. Only live food I deal with now is earthworms because I can keep them in my refrigerator and buy them at local gas stations and bait shops. Frozen and freeze dried is much easier. No different than feeding flakes IMO.

Well this does bring me on to my next question and hopefully, point really. Why do you feel that true live foods are so much better than freeze or frozen. I mean, it's obvious to me.

I see so many feeding these foods and I wonder if there is any nutritional or beneficial value to them at all. Since most frozen and freeze dried go through lots of different sterilising techniques.

@brookster. It's awesome that you feed live foods. I suppose my title question is confusing because the point or question I am trying to ask was centred around the preserved foods rather than the live. I think in order for the fish to get the best nutritional value from live foods, earthworms freshly dug up would be a safe bet.

Does feeding the scuds man made pellets not also defeat the object to a certain extent? I'm just curious.

I suppose I am likening freeze and frozen to a microwave meal and the earthworms to an organic meal.

I'm thinking of getting some un-dyed squats from a bait shop and using them as a live food but again it all depends what those are fed on too.

That brings my attention to pellets and flakes. What would be the easiest, cheapest and most organic way to feed fish?

I keep a live culture of vinegar eels and micro worms because i am going to start breeding soon and baby fish really get along better with those foods.

I left a culture of vinegar eels in the same gallon jar for a year and a half now and the colony is still there. Not as healthy as it used to be though. They are all simple to keep.

Im not a fan of feeding live fish. It just feels... wrong tbh.

As to live vs frozen food, theres a stigma where live food help induce breeding. If thats true, then there is a clear benefit to feeding live vs frozen. However, that could just be stigma. Youd have to ask someone else for clarification on that

I have a plain old community tank with pretty simple species and simple goals. I've tried frozen, freeze dried, and live just to treat them and they actually prefer the New Life spectrum Thera a pellets. I suspect it's the garlic.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I use live for fry.
I use frozen,freeze dried,flake and pellets for all others.
Live foods are better(no new news),but I wouldn't want to keep fish that need live food anymore.
Did that(200 goldfish a week!) and simple feedings have their advantage!.
Prepared foods are /can be very nutritious but you have to get good foods!
This is a thread I just started that explains a little on prepared foods.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/best-prepared-food-crude-analysis-335656.html

Was looking at brine shrimp. They don't seem that difficult to keep?

Was looking at brine shrimp. They don't seem that difficult to keep?

Do you mean hatching and feeding Baby
or hatching and raising to adult size?
Brine shrimp aren't super loaded with nutrition and when fed as babies it is best to feed in first 24 hours(max nutritional value).
Otherwise look into feeding the shrimp with selcon or other similar supplement.
I have never tried to raise brine,but believe it is not the simplest compared to other options?

Raising brine shrimp is more difficult then just hatching baby brine shrimp n feeding to your fish

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom