Does anybody know what L number these are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
They are labeled as zebras but I kinda don't think so for $20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1451487584252.jpg
    1451487584252.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 1451487593854.jpg
    1451487593854.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 135
Definitely not zebras. Don't know the L #, only for sure that they're not zebras for $20 :lol:

Still, they look pretty cool.

Definitely not zebras. Don't know the L #, only for sure that they're not zebras for $20 :lol:

Still, they look pretty cool.

+1 These guys look nothing like zebras but pretty cool looking..Ill get the ID soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dang..your store is much better than anything I have...you'd think central Florida would have at least a couple decent LFS that aren't 30-45 minutes away...

I may try for more rose badis when weather gets better. Let me know in spring if you want anything and I'll ship it.

Brenna

A friend of mine said it resembles a leopard frog pleco L134

They had royals too.

Attachments

• 1451489014694.jpg
    1451489014694.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 130
Looks like these guys have a longer body.....leopard frogs have a more stout body?

Chocolate zebra pleco perhaps? L270?

Looks like these guys have a longer body.....leopard frogs have a more stout body?

Chocolate zebra pleco perhaps? L270?

I'm leaning towards this too. They retail about $30 and she had them marked around $20 or 25.

No space right now. I've plecos everywhere. Two sets in qt that need bigger tanks which I got but with flooded basement water removal comes before setting up tanks.

Brenna

No space right now. I've plecos everywhere. Two sets in qt that need bigger tanks which I got but with flooded basement water removal comes before setting up tanks.

Brenna

Time for the breeders song maybe? ;) You always talk about your mom wanting plecos, maybe a nice little surprise for her :rolleyes: :brows: This hobby.....always needing more tanks! :lol:

Hahaha! The green dragon longfin are hers already. I'm out of qt space because I've got plecos and killis in the same qt tanks. I'd be scared to put a pet shop pleco with the killis from the breeder. This shop has cool fish but not always the healthiest sometimes.

Brenna

Your LFS are nice, All of mine within a reasonable driving distance have mostly generic fish =(.

Your LFS are nice, All of mine within a reasonable driving distance have mostly generic fish =(.
This young person and by that I mean early 20s tries really hard. She told me she has several of us special order breeder types that come in because we can't get other lfs to always order things.

Brenna

I have 3 within like an hr and a half of driving. The one is fairly new but he like the really large fish (oscars, arowana, gar) Things of that nature. he has some things i like but they are pretty pricey. I have talked with him a lot and sold him some things though and he noticed sense i bring in endlers and things that those sell MUCH better, so he is starting to buy some smaller fish and things so we will see how that goes.

2nd is pitiful conditions, This store basically killed my dads saltwater tank and one of his 13ft albino burmese pythons. Coral infested with some type of worm and an infected rabbit. I bought from their like twice, the one because they do really reasonably priced plants. Everything was good with the plants no problems but when i bought some fish from their they all died inside of a week with no visible signs, Last time i buy from their(I didn't find out about dads stuff till later, i was a kid when it happened.) They have been shut down several times for conditions, buying from mills things like that.

3rd one is very good, about 60/40 freshwater/saltwater split. They have a very nice saltwater selection but saltwater is way out of my budget (for now *evil laugh*.) The freshwater selection is fairly nice as well but again, more generic types and don't really do custom orders (They ordered dwarf puffers for me once but they sold for like $3 a piece so it was cheap for them) Otherwise they have never ordered anything i asked for. lots of tetras barbs and things like that, very common fish for the most part you could find somewhere like petsmart. a few oddities but when they get these they are tiny. Like a 3/4in pleco, they even straight up sell certain fry less then a month old. They sell some breeding pairs but one that are on the way out and maybe have a few good spawns left in them.

Wow Exigenn! Sounds like you need to mail order more. Until this place where the young lady works opened up i had to mail away for everything interesting. I really think it helps sales to have different unique things even just once a month. It keeps people coming back because they don't know what surprises await them. If I owned a fish store I'd go broke ordering rare fish and hoping they sold.

I bet the average person who owns fish doesn't even realize there are other kinds out there beyond what the box stores sell. I have no facts to back that up, just a thought.

I live in a smallish town so we have no lfs. I drive 20 minutes to the closest one. The rest are all in a similar area. If you really want the cool and cheap stuff you drive 1.5 hrs to Aquarium Adventure in Bolingbrook, IL. Only issue is they are part of Petland which is a notorious puppy/cat mill seller. Can't win no matter what.

Bigsea I'm going to take a look at those and see what I think. I could always ask for the scientific name but she isn't so good with that and said on the invoice sometimes it's scientific and sometimes common names!

They also had one gibbiceps of some sort. Wasn't colorful so I didn't snap a picture.

Yea, i have been talking to and working with the new guy a lot. I think he is going to offer me a job their lol. The one place is pitiful, shut down almost a half dozen times. The other is very nice just need more selection. I like that one the most right now though because a good amount of the fish their are breed by the employees and owner which is awesome and means that they are generally very healthy.

Their is another new one that opened up about a month ago thats an hour away. Some of my local fish people went their and say it better then most of the others so i may have to set a day aside to check it out. Those are really the only ones within 2 hrs and 2hr drive their and back, not to mention i never want to leave the stores leads do a very long day.

Their was one that was about 5mins away a few years back and the owners were great, an older couple that were true hobbyists and were also breeders, so a lot of the fish in store were theirs, They custom ordered basically whatever you wanted if they would find it but the place actually burned down =(. no one was hurt thankfully.

I have just never ordered anything online and it seems like a lot is pretty expensive online not to mention shipping prices can sometimes be crazy. It would be something i would buy a bunch at a single time and get group shipping or something like that. Either way still skeptical. maybe less so if it were even someone on here knowing that the people here truly love and take care of their fish.

Most of my reason at looking for a bit more exotic/rare fish now is im planning on another 55-90 gallon tank depending on pricing and things. Also looking for something to breed that wont spawn supper often or 300+ fish at a time and isn't particularly hard to breed.. That i can really focus on and put a lot of time into. Im thinking some kind of pleco and maybe something else but also want an eye-catcher. Also it wouldn't hurt to piss a few people off with my new acquisitions lol. Don't really want to pay an arm and a leg either LOL. Well see what happens. You always seem to find some really nice/unique fish locally.

Back
Top Bottom