Does anyone else Autopsy their fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok running risk of sounding like a complete freak, When we have a fish die that seemed otherwise healthy, I've been known to cut it up the middle and take a peek... We mostly have livebearers and I also like to know how the little babies inside were doing.....

My daughters largest (possibly oldest) dalmation molly died this morning... yesterday she looked completely fine... i dont know what happened.... as I figured she was pregnant I found out during autopsy... I counted over 40 developing fry in her... so sad :( yet so amazing at the same time.... I took pictures...??freaky?? I CANT be alone..... am I?

RIP Dally!

Haven't had any fish die (yet) and I'm not about to dissect a hermit crab for cause of death. If my clown were to die tomorrow I'd probably take a peek though :p

I can say that I never even thought about doing that. Not that is a bad thing but when my fish die, I either flush or if too big they go out to the trash can.

I can say that I never even thought about doing that. Not that is a bad thing but when my fish die, I either flush or if too big they go out to the trash can.

I think the biggest reason I do, or what gave me the idea to was that I wanted to know if they were pregnant and how far along.... not sure I would if it werent a livebearer.... or maybe a male with an worm infestation or something just to SEE what they did to it...?

It's been a couple of years since I had a fish die, but when they did I just give them a quick glance for something apparent.

haha I think that I would probably do this if I had a knife sharp enough... Idk for sure tho cuz it really creeps me out even just trying to pick off those anchor worms

haha I think that I would probably do this if I had a knife sharp enough... Idk for sure tho cuz it really creeps me out even just trying to pick off those anchor worms

im a scrapbooker, and I use my super sharp butter scissors... just stick the point in the vent and cut up.... I dont get creeped out too easy... although im not sure about the anchor worm thing... ;)

I guess too, one other reason I do is, what if the babies growing inside her are alive? Im sure it takes a bit after mom to die, and if theres a chance of saving them i'de try....

lol omg tasha I've actually done that before when I was little! I cut the mom open because I knew she was about to have babies when she died.. it was like my first fish tank ever

what if your fish hant you for cutting them up? they might be pretty mad!

I dont think that will happen. Their souls have already left their little fishy bodies, just like in human autopsy...

and I dont "cut them up" its one nice, clean incision up the midsection.

lol omg tasha I've actually done that before when I was little! I cut the mom open because I knew she was about to have babies when she died.. it was like my first fish tank ever

LOL :) I never had a fishtank when I was younger, my dad did, but we werent to touch it or the fish. So im 35 and cant help myself. :hide:

o_O Uh.
I would never cut my mollies up out of curiousity.
If they died, me cutting them up wouldn't make me understand why they died, or help me solve the problem.

An autopsy is useful if you have a mysterious fish death. If you can identify a problem with it, you may be able to avoid the same thing in the future. Also, if you find parasites, it may help you decide on treating the rest of the fish so they won't catch it & die.

An autopsy is useful if you have a mysterious fish death. If you can identify a problem with it, you may be able to avoid the same thing in the future. Also, if you find parasites, it may help you decide on treating the rest of the fish so they won't catch it & die.

I have my second outbreak of camallanus, so I agree it is definately usefull for this type of thing...

Oh man, how brave you are!!! I can't even flush them or I sob for days, I have to have someone else do it.

Back
Top Bottom