Does anyone have a suggestion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverDragon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any tricks for keeping a small tank warmer during winter months. I have a male betta in a 3 gallon so I cant put a heater in it , and my apartment gets below 70 F at nights. Would wrapping a blanket around the tank at nights help? lol I'll try anything, thanks.

You could always try one of those undertank heaters that are made for reptiles, but I don't know if that would get it too hot or not... I have a 1 gallon betta tank as well and have been wondering the same thing. although I live in FL adn during the winter months my house never gets below 70 thats still to cold for my betta. Right now his temp stays at 78 with the light on... Anyway im probably not any help but i am going to watch this post to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Have you looked into a 25w heater? I don't know the dimensions of your 3 gal tank but I have seen some small heaters at lfs.

usually those are for at least 5 gallons and they don't have a thermostat do they?

what about with a 1 gallon? not trying to hijack the thread.. but just wondering...

There are a lot of junior/small/mini heaters on the market that would suit your 3 gallon. I use a Whisper Junior Heater in my 2.5 gallon betta tank with no issues, and the water stays at a comfortable 75-77 degrees.

The undertank heaters are a last measure option, but not much reccomended because your water temperature will fluctuate a lot with it.

Best of luck.

i just use a desk lamp on mine, with the light quite close to the tank. i have a thermometer in it to monitor and adjust the position of the light accordingly.

zenkatydid said:
i just use a desk lamp on mine, with the light quite close to the tank. i have a thermometer in it to monitor and adjust the position of the light accordingly.

The issue with using lamps though, is that the temperature will flucuate ALOT. With the light on, it can get quite hot. When the light goes off, the temperature can drop significantly. Leaving the light on is not feasible either, beacuse you need to provide the fish with a nocturnal "rest" time.

Going with a mini-heater is the best option.

wow, thanks guys.... I never knew such a small heater existed.. I will look for a 15 watt next time im in the pet shop.... For now I have been wrapping a towel around the tank at nights when the light is off (lol).. it doesnt do much , but it saves a degree or two. Thanks again.

I'm wondering if one could use an incancescent light bulb to warm a small tank all day and all night. By using a normal white bulb during the day and, lets say a blue light blub at night, you'd still get the heat from them and recreate the day/night light difference...

Um, this may sound a little off but when I had and Igauna I would always have to use a black light heat lamp at night to keep his tank at just the right temperature. In the morning when I would turn it off and the main light on it was like a stem room in there, but he loved it. Perhaps that would be another option for you if you dont find one of those miny heaters. It would kind of be like a really big moon light that puts of warmth for you betta at night. May Work!

I have a 1 gallon tank that I use a small heater in. I like the Hydor Products as far as heaters Go.

I first used this heater in there - http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28857;category_id=1733;pcid1=3231;pcid2=
But it broke when I was cleaning the tank. Then I switched to a mini Hydor heater - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11368&N=2004+113767
I am real happy with this unit. Like I have been with other Hydor heaters I use. I am sure that 25 watt would work fine on anything between a 1 and a 10 gallon tank.
No need to buy mittens for your Betta as they are pretty cheap ;-)

Back
Top Bottom