Does anyone know what this crab is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it ok to leave in my tank. (Week two of cycle)

Attachments

• image-3031338614.jpg
    image-3031338614.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 114
He's well camouflaged on that rock! Can't really see whether he's got markings though. Is it holding an anemone in both it's claws?

No it's just on live rock. What you can see is the back of the crab. I have a video of it but it won't let me post it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase him and when he gets inside a piece of live rock take it out of the tank and you can drizzle carbonated water (selzer water) and he will come out, it will kill a minimal amount of living things so you will still have some. If it doesnt work do a peroxide dip.

Thanks for your help. Just my luck to get a crab in my rock!

It's not a big deal. Just a rock boring xanthid crab. Very common. A crab trap would be a good way to remove him. I have a few of them which were banished to the sump. Just as destructive as emerald crabs IME.

Try to make a trap out of a small glass like a shot glass etc. lean it up against the rock. Put some bait like frozen food or pellets. You may have to put the food inside a media bag or small piece of panty hose so it stays in the glass and not float away. Set it up so when the crab goes in for the food he can not climb out. And just sit back and wait. Might have to turn the lights off so it comes out.

Back
Top Bottom