does anyone know what this grey fuzzy stuff is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gallowchris

Aquarium Advice Activist
On my drift wood this grey fuzzy mold like stuff has appeared and the snails wont touch it. Has any body seen this before?

ForumRunner_20111206_120120.jpg

I have the same thing growing on some plant bulbs I added to my tank. I curious to know what it is.

Could be fungus, I had it on my Mopani root.

I believe it's due to organic matter being eating by fungus and what you see are the spores.

Don't quote me on that though!

It does disappear. I get that every time I add wood to the tank. Surprisingly, fry really love to munch on it, but aside from them and the amanos, nobody's interested.

What does it come from? I have had my tank for years and didn't get it until I put the plant bulbs in.

Mumma.of.two said:
It feeds on the organics in the wood or bulbs in your case. Are they growing?

Not the bulbs that it's growing on but the rest are doing fine. I wanted to have a planted tank and decided to use bulbs because I haven't been able to find any local dealers that have snail free plants.

Not the bulbs that it's growing on but the rest are doing fine. I wanted to have a planted tank and decided to use bulbs because I haven't been able to find any local dealers that have snail free plants.

A snail free planted tanks is kind of a pipe dream. Everywhere you buy plants will probably have snails. I wash my plants with hydrogen peroxide and look them over very carefully, but I still have them.

I hunt snails in my tank with EXTREME PREJUDICE, which helps keep the population down. Honestly, snails could be considered a healthy part of an ecosystem. Oh, and Assassin snail fodder :ROFLMAO:

Donavin said:

They are probably past it if they are growing stuff other than leaves :)

aqua_chem said:
A snail free planted tanks is kind of a pipe dream. Everywhere you buy plants will probably have snails. I wash my plants with hydrogen peroxide and look them over very carefully, but I still have them.

I hunt snails in my tank with EXTREME PREJUDICE, which helps keep the population down. Honestly, snails could be considered a healthy part of an ecosystem. Oh, and Assassin snail fodder :ROFLMAO:

So far the bulbs seem to be working great. No snails. Just like you I am always on the look out but so far not a single one. The bulbs take longer but are worth the wait to me.

Looks kinda like Black Brush Algae to me. How much light do you have on it?

Yup I found out from a pro that it's Black Brush Algae. Had to remove the wood and scrap it off.

Light, up until last week I had 1 two bulb Aqualife 30" T5HO reef light. Now I have two linked and the plants are growing like crazy!!

Back
Top Bottom