Does anyone make their own food? (tropical and/or goldie?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReneeMarie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just noticed that every single one of my foods (flakes, pellets, freeze dried etc for both my tropicals and my goldies) contain 'ethoxyquin'. Knowing this chemical is carcinogenic to mammals I decided to see how it may affect fish. It is indeed toxic (see the info here: http://www.pesticideinfo.org/List_EcoChemSpecies.jsp?Taxa_Group='Fish' ) so I would really like to begin making my own food but I have no clue where to begin. Can anyone offer some 'homemade fish food' advice?
Thanks,
Renee

You don't really have to "make" food for goldies. They will happily eat most kinds of veggies (peas, cucumber slices, zucchinies, luttuce, spinach, etc). All you need to do is blanch the veggies or nuke for a few sec. in the microwave. Golds also love many kind of insects & worms. Breeders typically grow their live food, but you can feed your golds some chopped up raw shrimp (or earthworms if you have a pesticide free garden).

Variety is key if your golds are on totally home-made diet, or you risk nutrient imbalance. For that reason, I will still use premade dry food. (Not to mention that it is much more convienent). I use Hikari pellets & there is no strange preservatives listed.

I have no experience with "homemade" tropical flakes, etc. This is a recipe from the KRIB to get you started:
http://www.thekrib.com/Food/paste.html

Actually the Local Reef Club I belong too is trying to start a live culture project, where daphnia, blackworms, microworms, and other bugs are grown.

If any of you are familar with him, Burks is actually the one who suggested the live cultures for our club. He has had success with microworms if you have any questions

Back
Top Bottom