Does coraline grow under standards FO bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an extra 75 tank that I think I"m going to use to "grow" some LR so it's ready when I get my 180. I planned on putting about 20-30 lbs of LR in the tank and 75-100lbs or base rock. Will coraline spread if I just use some cheap shop lights? BTW, this is all that will be in the tank so I'll probably just keep it simple, just a heater and a couple ph's to move water.

It should work just fine (2-3w/gal) but be sure the lighting is not too yellow. Coralline does best in a bluer light spectrum. Keep in mind as well that once the rock is transfered to a tank with higher intensity lighting the coralline may bleach a bit as it acclimates to the new light.

Cheers
Steve

When I moved my tank, all the coralline turned white due to no water for a bit. It has grown back.

BTW, I have a 29 gal with a standard NO light with a 50/50 bulb. I moved some rock and rubble to this tank from my main and it has supported the coralline just fine. It is not near as colorful but dull green and purple are evident.

We have a 29g with the standard cruddy light that a tank comes with and after 8 months you cant even see the blue background on the rear glass. Same with the rock in the tank it is all a deep purple color that just keeps getting thicker on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom