does cured liverock add to bioload?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourJives

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone!

i recently moved a fishtank from a house to my new appartment probably about 3 weeks ago. i had a lot of the liverock sitting dry for possibly up to two hours during the move. i've already added 4 new corals, a cardinal shrimp and a starfish to the load within the last 3 weeks, and i used all my old filter media to cycle a new tank, so it's 100% new media (possibly a mistake though the tank is 2 years established)

i have a dwarf lionfish ordered from doctor fosters and smith's liveaquaria and it's arriving tuesday.

i slightly regret ordering the lionfish due to the fact that i've already added a bunch of other stuff. i was thinking about buying some more cured liverock from my LFS but i don't know if that will benefit the tank more or if it would count as adding more to the bioload.

any feedback on if this would help or not?

generally more rock equals more room for bacteria to flourish, which means the capability for more bioload. You don't mention the size of your tank, or how much rock you have now.

Leaving the rock out for that long will cause some decay but the seeded material may bridge the gap. IIWM I'd test for a few days to make sure everything is where you want it.

As for the lionfish , depends on the tank and if you have anything in there he likes to eat

it is a 37 gallon aquarium, all i have fishwise is a medium size maroon clownfish.

i have a lot of liverock in there, full to the top, i just need one piece to put in the corner to fill a gap in the top corner, for i just moved a piece out to put in my smaller 12 gallon tank.

the lionfish is small, 1 inch dwarf zebra. yes i am aware they can eat things :)

i have a 2 inch cardinal shrimp and a black brittle star and a sand sifting star, with several turbo snails and hermit crabs. here's a pic right after lights turned on:

Attachments

• 100_2744.jpg
    100_2744.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 97
You have alot of items that seem to be going into the tank at one time...I would hold off on the LR for now and just wait for the tank to stabilize before adding anything else. After it settles it dont hurt to add more rock, LR also acts as a filtration unit in itself in a natural reef.

yeah i know, i put way too much stuff in there at once. fortunately the tank is cycled last i checked. i did decide to hold off on the LR

thx!

Back
Top Bottom