Does Eco Complete Planted Substrate help/hurt cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jschimm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Working on getting a 90 gal freshwater tank rolling. I am planning on starting with artificial driftwood and silk plants to start as I am a total newbie. It was recommended by a LFS that if I want to eventually go planted, going with a plant substrate would save me from the hassles of switching later. So I read about Eco Complete plant substrate, and the bacteria it has in it. My question is, will this assist in a fishless cycle without live plants? Or is it not worth it, or do it harm? I do eventually want to go live plant but I want to gain experience, not to mention I can't afford high end lights, CO2, etc. I know there are low tech, low light plants, but most seem like weeds that can easily become a nuisance and tough to get rid of. Just trying to spend money smart without screwing the whole thing up. Any input greatly appreciated.

Well, You'll need to have plants in the sub in order for it to be helpful. I would plant your tank and then test. I have a planted tank, when I wanted to cycle a new tank I added plants and started the cycle. I also added filter from an established tank, boom 2 weeks later I was cycled. I would add Java fern, Anacharis, Java moss, and water wisteria. They will help with the cycle in absorbing bad stuff (nitrites and nitrates). see the link in my signature for in fish cycling. I don't personal trust the bacteria in a bottle or bag, but some people swear by it. I would plant the tank and start testing. Are you starting from scratch or do you have an established tank? Do you have API liquid tested kit? Familiar with using it?

I have a planted substrate also. You don't need any plants to start the cycle. So the substrate will just be substrate till you get plants :)

Thanks for your post. I wasn't planning on the bacteria in a bottle, but go with the ammonia method. I'm going to check with a LFS about getting some used filter media or gravel. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom