dog faced puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountaindew

Aquarium Advice Regular
my puffer has started to get film over his eyes and his color has changed.once and awhile he will take off fast across the tank but mainly he just likes to lay in the rocks.he has heavy breathing but still eats.

and what are numerical readings of pertinent water chemistry? How long have you had the fish? what else is in the tank? how large is the fish? how large is the tank?

The tank is a 110 and there is live sand,100lbs of live rock,greenbird wrasse,yellow tang,panther grouper and a snowflake eel.The puffer is medium size.All chemical test are fine and salt level is fine.I have had the tank all most a year

All chemical test are fine

What are the numbers...To be honest, I dont see how the numbers are fine with that amount of messy fish that are heavy on the bioload in that tank. How long have you had the puffer?

ok, well I am not going to play pin the tail on the donkey with this..you were asked for the numbers twice and apparently dont wish to give the readings and I think they are going to be tied in to the answer to your problem. Maybe someone else cares to shoot in the dark.

I agree with Hara, the number will enable us to help you. I am thinking a possible pH problem, but without the numbers, it really is a shot in the dark. Speaking of a shot, can you get a pic?

9 times out of 10 if you have fish problems then people are going to first and foremost ask for water parameters. This is just a given because it is the only way for anyone to truly diagnose a problem so don't take offense to it just expect that that is a necessary requirement for diagnosis. I'm betting either roka64 or Hara can guess the problem dead on if those are provided.

Majority of the problems we see affecting our tanks stem from water quality issues. You have very active fish that get reasonably large so aggression is also a possibility. Without any readings my best diagnosis would be poor water quality allowing a bacterial infection to set in. Do also note that many puffers prefer subdue lighting. Epsom salts have shown to help relieve trauma to the eyes, but a qt with medication might be your best route if infection has already set in.

Back
Top Bottom