Dojo loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know what or how to feed golden dojo loaches? I've tried bloodworms, flakes, and brine shrimp but they won't come out of hiding to eat.

How many do you have ? How long have you had them ? What size tank and how warm do you keep it ?

They are a cold water fish and can be easily stressed in too warm temperatures, which shorten their lives as well. They are usually easily fed, but may be shy if they are new, and they prefer their own company. 3 is the usual minimum number recommended, and that means a big tank, since they can get to ten inches full grown. Should have a soft sandy substrate, as they like to burrow and bury themselves. Gravel can damage them when they do this.

Look up info on them at Loaches Online. A very good loach forum. Species name is Misgurnis anguillicaudatus.

How many do you have ? How long have you had them ? What size tank and how warm do you keep it ? They are a cold water fish and can be easily stressed in too warm temperatures, which shorten their lives as well. They are usually easily fed, but may be shy if they are new, and they prefer their own company. 3 is the usual minimum number recommended, and that means a big tank, since they can get to ten inches full grown. Should have a soft sandy substrate, as they like to burrow and bury themselves. Gravel can damage them when they do this. Look up info on them at Loaches Online. A very good loach forum. Species name is Misgurnis anguillicaudatus.

I've had them for a day. 55 gallon semi aggressive tank at about 76°. I have 4 of them. I have small gravel, should I switch to sand?

If it is nice smooth rounded gravel, it should be ok. If it's coarse or has sharp edges, a switch would be best for the fish.

One day is not long to get used to a new tank. The poor things are stressed out, no wonder they won't eat. Best thing with new fish is lower or turn off lights for the first day, and leave them alone. They will be more likely to start exploring in the night, and by tomorrow may be up for a meal. If not, I still would not panic. It might take a few days for them to settle in and get comfortable. A little patience.. many fish don't feel like eating right after being placed in a new tank.

If it is nice smooth rounded gravel, it should be ok. If it's coarse or has sharp edges, a switch would be best for the fish. One day is not long to get used to a new tank. The poor things are stressed out, no wonder they won't eat. Best thing with new fish is lower or turn off lights for the first day, and leave them alone. They will be more likely to start exploring in the night, and by tomorrow may be up for a meal. If not, I still would not panic. It might take a few days for them to settle in and get comfortable. A little patience.. many fish don't feel like eating right after being placed in a new tank.
Ok thanks! And I read that they're carnivores. Will they accept flakes? If not I have bloodworms and brine shrimp will that work?

They will usually eat most things. Picky eating isn't usual with them. Live foods or the frozen equivalent is always good, I think we should feed such things as often as possible.

Look them up on Loaches online, there's a good bio on the species, and they have an excellent forum to answer questions if you have any more issues.

Back
Top Bottom