DOM slick with EV-120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, just question for all you EV series folks out there. I have an ev-120 on my 105G which is located in the sump. I still have a DOM slick at the top of the display. Anyone have some input on this? Thanks

Adjust the surface skimmer on your overflow so it is skimming from the surface, if it is too low in the water it will pull more from just under the surface. You want the water falling into the overflow.

Do I have/need to use the drain extension that the foam insert rests on inside my CPR overflow? I also had to throttle back my mag 9.5 a whole lot to achieve the correct water level in tank and sump after I jacked up the overflow. I am using a ball valve. Is it alright to run that pump like this?

Do I have/need to use the drain extension that the foam insert rests on inside my CPR overflow?

No, but if you don't I would expect it to be a bit louder.

also had to throttle back my mag 9.5 a whole lot to achieve the correct water level in tank and sump after I jacked up the overflow. I am using a ball valve. Is it alright to run that pump like this?

Yep, but you'll need to make sure your getting enough water flow.

Okay, well thats not going to work I just calculated my flow at 28 gallons an hour! Yikes! Better do some more adjusting. Can anyone recommend an easy way to tell how much water is moving through the sump?

I took a 30ml dosing cup and held it to where water was pouring over one of the baffles in my sump. It took one second. So I figured this formula based on the accuracy of the water pouring over the baffles as my flow rate.

1 gal = 4000ml
30ml/sec = 1800ML a minute
1 gallon every 2.2 minute
28 gallons an hour

If its acurate I don't know, likely not as it only reads about .75 inches of my 12" baffle, but its all I could think of. If thats the case and I should (to get really rigged here) multiply the 30ml by the length of the baffle I get over 400gph which turns my 130G around 4 times an hour, that I can live with. Any thoughts? Am I making this WAY too hard?

Tuen the pump off, take the return line from the tank, start filling a known volume, like a 1g container and time it, then do your figures. fill the container at approximately the same height as the top of the tank is possible.

Well actually case closed on this one. I got my equipment order in today which consisted of 3 new aqualifters and aqualifter pre-filters. Man as soon as I replaced it that overflow started sucking like no overflow has ever sucked before. I have water cascading into the inlet of the overflow and my pump is wide open! Hoooray! Thanks for the help reefrunner. Just goes to show once again the horridness of the good ole aqualifter!

LoL the ev-120 just kicked in and started foaming like a rabid trigger between these two posts. Its working again!

Oh, its the "miracle" pump (Vaccum pump)that cpr recommends for starting and maintaining syphon with their overflows. Here i'll toss you a pic. It works on a flapper system and they become fouled about every three months. Marine depot is the only place that has them, luckily they only go for 12 buck each. I will say that they are the perfect solution to auto-top off when coupled with the ultralife float switch.

Man, my EV hasn't skimmed this long since I got it, maybe it will finally dent that .1 phosphate I can't get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom