Don't know how to Cycle a Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had four saltwater tanks, and a neighbor liked them so much he went and bought a tank. However, he wants to keep goldfish in it, and I haven't cycled a freshwater tank before. Come to think of it, I have done nothing with fresh water. Can someone give me a quick breakdown of setting up a 6 gallon freshwater fluval edge?

Also might be good to know, is a 6 gallon tank big enough for gold fish?

If you don't have a test kit for testing Ammonia, NitrItes and NitrAtes then I'd suggest getting one to keep tabs on how the cycle is doing.

Basically, just setup the tank like any other. Substrate, plants (fake or otherwise), and fill it with tap water. You'll need a dechlorinator (I'd recommend Prime from Seachem) to add to the water.

Over this time you'll need something that can add ammonia to the tank. If you can get pure ammonia you can add that directly, but a lot of store bought ammonia has perfumes added that will mess up a tank. Adding fish food will slowly bring about ammonia to a tank tho too. Read up on fishless tank cycling, as it's the route I would go.

Let the tank sit for 3-4 weeks (or sooner if you get old filter media) and once the tank finishes cycling its ready for fish.

If you know anyone with a freshwater tank, you can get old filter media from them that will have the bacteria you need and cycle the tank a lot faster.

edit: I know some goldfish can grow pretty large so you'd have to check on it's adult size to verify. Rule of thumb tends to be 1 inch per gallon.

the inch per gallon rule sucks.a 20 gallon minimum for 1 fancy goldfish,and ten gallons for every additional goldfish is reccomended.

So the cycle is the exact same as a saltwater then? If that is the case I will just have them use shrimp like I did with my salt tanks. I do have an API master kit for my salt tank that I am going to use to test their water for them. They just told me they want a betta instead, so bio load shouldn't be an issue. lol

Easiest question I've answered in weeks :).

Simply click on the article in my signature and ask me any questions you come across. :)

So it is essentially no different then setting up a saltwater, I'm good with that. Thanks!

So the cycle is the exact same as a saltwater then? If that is the case I will just have them use shrimp like I did with my salt tanks. I do have an API master kit for my salt tank that I am going to use to test their water for them. They just told me they want a betta instead, so bio load shouldn't be an issue. lol
the saltwater test kit wont work for saltwater
edit:i mean it wont work for freshwater.

Good point, mine is for salt, I will have them buy a fresh master test kit.

Purevil21 said:
Good point, mine is for salt, I will have them buy a fresh master test kit.

Hey check out the guide in my signature that Eco23 wrote about fishless cycling. Its very informative. Have a good day.....

Just feel the need to emphasize this, although it was mentioned briefly before...6 gallons is WAY to small for even a single goldfish. Way.

They are active, fast growing fish who produce a lot of waste. A MUCH larger tank (55 gallon or more), and a high power filter will get you (them) good results. I would suggest fancies over the comet-types for an aquarium. They grow a bit slower, and are not quite so active. Comets do best in a pond situation, or a really large tank. I have both fancies and comets, and speak from 30+ years of experience.

Back
Top Bottom