Dont want weight from stones breaking my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about switching my 46 gallon bow-front glass tank to a mbuna tank.
My concern is the weight of a bunch of rocks could break the bottom glass of my tank. Any suggestions or methods of doing this without a disaster

Cut a piece of eggcrate to the rough dimensions of your tank bottom so when rocks fall the pressure gets displaced over a larger surface area.

You can also set up your rockscape dry, then silicon it together.

Thank you. Where would I get that stuff.

And do I just lay it in the bottom and cover with sand?

I personally order it from Bulk Reef Supply. It looks like a white (or black) plastic grid. You should look around for the cheapest price though. Silicon (make sure you buy 100% stuff. window and door works well) can be bought at your local hardware.

As for how to install it, just put it on the bottom and chuck in the sand.

Glad to help, - Raymond

Any hardware store. Its light diffuser for floresent ceiling lights. 2x4 is about $15

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any hardware store. Its light diffuser for floresent ceiling lights. 2x4 is about $15

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup, got mine at lowes for $13 and some change just the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is something im also worried about. More about my stand holding the weight. But I like these ideas.

Also someone told me once that the weight of rocks will be close to the same as the water without the rocks. Water weighs 5lbs or so per gallon.

Matt A.

Water weighs over 8lbs per gallon. The rocks are heavier but you shouldn't worry about your stand handling the weight.

What you should worry about is that a 46 bowfront is not a great tank for mbuna unless you get all dwarf species. My wife tried this exact thing and it never really worked out.

Yea I agree a 45G is to small for Mbuna Cichlid setup.

My stand is designed for a 55G which I have but not sure the weight limits of the stand

Matt A.

Personally I like building so I build my own stands, and it is great because you know how much it can handle and overbuilding isn't expensive because you use 2x4's lol

Also, you would definitely want a dwarf species of mbuna.

Is my tank not good for a mbuna tank because of footprint or volume?
Footprint, the useful footprint of 46 bowfront is just not that large. It gets too narrow at the edges and too much of the volume is in the upper regions.

You could maybe do a group of something like saulosi in there but not much else.

I thought I could make it work with typical mbuna but it just didn't work. There was no where to run to. Even though we used exclusively mbuna of the relatively more peaceful persuasion there was just not enough room.

I took 40lbs of rock and siliconed it all together, and put it into my tank, works like a charm. And I have cichlids that like digging, so I dug he bottom layer of rocks in sand and the rest is held up high with silicone.

I took 40lbs of rock and siliconed it all together, and put it into my tank, works like a charm. And I have cichlids that like digging, so I dug he bottom layer of rocks in sand and the rest is held up high with silicone. Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have any pics?

Just redid my tank with cleaned and soaked rocks from my local lake! Looks great. Now I just need a background.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415422104.974334.jpg

Matt A.

Back
Top Bottom