Dorm Room Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. Come September I would like to purchase a 10 gallon tank for my dorm room. (The max size allowed) I have been researching a lot about the hobby and still can't decide what to put in my tank. I'm not entirely new to the hobby I have had many aquariums before. My goldfish at home started as a little feeder fish for my turtle. It has outlived my turtle and is now ten years old. I also have two male bettas but there in small tanks that I am constantly cleaning. My girlfriend is going to take one and I would like put the other in the new tank. So my question is what do you guys suggest I should put in my new tank? I would like to put my betta in there. I've been leaning towards tiger barbs and Siamese alge eaters. I also want a few plants and want the tank to look natural as possible. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tiger barbs are super nippy and will destroy a betta. Not to mention the fact that they require a larger tank than a 10g. The same goes with siamese algae eaters.

For fish that would work better I would suggest going with a school of 6 cardinal tetras and 6 more cory cats. That would about max out the tank in stocking and give a pretty good mix.

Thanks for the advice. I also should have added what kind of plants should I look into. I have done almost no research into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like java ferns for foreground plants, anubias for mid ground, and amazon swords/anacharis for background. Anacharis can also be floated to create surface cover and it grows rapidly. Java moss could be used as a carpet. All of these plants are pretty hardy too btw. Good luck!

jungle val would make a good background plant, if the light is strong enough

IMO jungle val would end up being way too big for a 10g. I would suggest look up-
Dosing PPS-Pro
Dosing Glut / Excel
CFLs for fishtanks

With 2 13w CFLs over a 10g, while dosing PPS-Pro, and excel, you can grow a lot of plants.

Back
Top Bottom