Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love the clam, I've wanted one for a while , and what is the name of the coral to the right of the clam that is featured in the second pic?

Lettuce coral? I think Pavona when I hear lettuce. Now that I googled it, apparently it's about a broad a term as "brain coral". It was from a Jakarta list, so...Indo. Nice piece, but after shipping, it came out to about a hundred bucks :(

Yes Hank, that was a Maxima. They do come in a turquoise color. I have a gold one as well, but it's a bit shy so far. I'm going to get a Squamosa as soon as I see a nice one, just because I love the extremely fast growth rate.

Looks great already. :)

How long did it take in total for you to go from setup to adding corals? Also, you used all live rock I'm guessing?

Yeah, they also call it cabbage coral, very broad term. They are still a very cool shape. Considered difficult, does it seem to have the same needs that our other SPS varieties need? That looks like a nice big one. Worth $100.

It's not SPS. It's LPS. A massive mis-information that was copied and pasted throughout the net.
Not difficult. As easy as a Favia. you should see it at night. I'll try to take a pic. Looks like a totally different creature.

Carey- I set the tank up with some rock from a friend (some live, some dead) and cycled it for a couple weeks, then plumbed it into the main system which already has 100 pounds of rock in it, then added fish immediately.

Ahh ok. i am in the middle of my cycling it seems and I am very motivated to get some corals in there from the 10g holding tank they are currently in. They are declining pretty fast in the 10g, not sure what the issues are but I need them in the 40b as soon as possible, so I just wanted to see how long you waited.

Well, that would depend on the condition of your rock. If it was cycled from other tanks i would say yeah, but i think you still have ammonia, right? If so, no way! I would rather test my luck putting corals in a predator tank than in a tank full of poison.

Well I can't wait to see both of the maxima as they grow in your system. I'd love to get my hands on the green ones I've seen pictures of here and there, though there isn't any room in the tank for a 4th clam. Lol.

Looks great Doug. Love the Maxima! Clams are my favorite. I'm planning on ordering some from ORA in the next week to couple weeks :)

That is what I have and who I purchased mine from over the holidays. I paid $117, so they lowered the price.

I have 3 of those from the same seller. I purchased them awhile ago at 150 each.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You know those Chinese LEDs don't grow coral, they also emit X-rays that will make you glow in the dark. ;) that is a crazy price.

Back
Top Bottom