Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A draw from you making your own stuff and knowing where and how to buy bulk resin is a big help. The cobalt anti nitrate and phosphate resins I'm using aren't expensive, but aren't cheap either. I don't even know how often it needs replaced! Don't think cobalt knows either...

A draw from you making your own stuff and knowing where and how to buy bulk resin is a big help. The cobalt anti nitrate and phosphate resins I'm using aren't expensive, but aren't cheap either. I don't even know how often it needs replaced! Don't think cobalt knows either...

Most of all that stuff comes from another use and gets repackaged for aquarium use. For example DI resin is available in freight car loads. BRS buys 100's of pounds at a time and chuckle as they scoop it into little bags for us. Same with nori sheets, alkalinity raiser, calcium additives and even low lead glass that was developed for office buildings.

Last edited:
Exactly. I need to find out what the resins cobalt uses to solve that cost. It's be pretty on point, I like the stuff and it'd be easy to put it together in filter floss.

Exactly. I need to find out what the resins cobalt uses to solve that cost. It's be pretty on point, I like the stuff and it'd be easy to put it together in filter floss.

I would look in the water purification industry. DI resin was initially developed to produce ultra pure water for coolant in atomic power facilities. It's now in common use at water purification plants. Resins that attach to protein and phosphate molecules are also pretty common. I bet your resin came from a source like that. They guy who developed it was sitting in chemistry class one day and became aware that new resin would work great for his saltwater tank. A business is born. Bio-beads are just the raw material used in a injection mold plastic machine, spitting out bio-degradable forks and knives.

Last edited:
Someone came over and bought some anemones off of me and brought me a giant clump of red gracilaria, and I just bought 4 more windows for my house so I'm broke. No money for hobby stuff. I'm trying to thin out the tank a little actually...

Selling some stuff off for cash. I have 4 more windows to buy and install before I can install new vinyl siding on the front and sides of the house. I can't wait for that to happen. It's kinda fugly right now.

As you can see in the back of the house the little windows that make it look like a freaken mobile home....
img_2638635_0_a576cdc7462eec13dd802e1e8618e6a3.jpg

I'm replacing them all with full size windows-
img_2638635_1_028fc82d3fc1e5b4f110b666346bb7e6.jpg

Thanks! It doesn't yet though....not until I have sided the place. I can't wait. I have 7 windows to replace before I can side the entire house. I was thinking of just replacing the 4 on the back corner (2 you can see), then siding the front and sides, and doing the rest later down the road. I don't think I'll be getting to the siding until spring though....not unless I sell my tank off and pay for it with that money! :brows:

You can do it in batches just be sure to get enough to do each wall in one dye lot The corner molding will break the line so it dont jump out at you.

Back
Top Bottom