Doug's 250, now 300, in wall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doug, I think this tank will look brilliant built in,What size sump and pumps will you be going with?
well, i'm going to look on craigslist for something. for the last system i used a standard 125 gallon tank. it was a nice size for a large refugium and accommodated a large skimmer as well, so i think that's what i'll look for this time also. any big old tank that's cheap will work for this purpose. whatever tank i find will have to be drilled for an external pump. i'm done with the submersibles always getting in the way. as for the size of the pump, i was thinking of something under 2000 gph before head loss. i haven't zeroed in on the exact pump yet.

mr_X said:
that's a maculiceps tang actually.

leo- it does appear to be load bearing. i'm hopefully going to install a header next week. i don't think i'm going to be able to get to it this weekend.

Oops the coloring is similar but when I look at a different picture the body shape is different

have you considered building a sump/fuge in your stand? like do soemthing out of plywood and do a liquid rubber or a pond liner water proofing on it. it doesn't have to look pretty and it will be as big as you can fit. and would be about $250 for all the materials to get it done possibly even less

Just joining in to keep updated on this thread. Looks like a great project. I built a 55 gal in the wall for someone about 20 years ago and it's still there.

what would i want that fish for? it's not even attractive.

leo, i can buy a 100 gallon stock tank for less than that.
meanwhile, here's a crappy blackberry pic of 200 pounds of live rock in my garage.......
img_1552771_0_8f02b5c4c1a246e5db788c44ab0ed600.jpg

well, that rock came out of a guys tank recently. he had it in 2 bins and one of them had a foul smell....so i think at least half of that rock has some significant die-off.
some of the pieces have some zoos on them too, so i put them on top and added a 150 watt halide pendant i had laying around, which i will run at night to help keep the water warm overnight. this barrel is in my unheated garage and i haven't purchased any heaters yet. i'm relying on a hand full of power heads and that halide to keep the water warm.

ok...here are 3 somewhat boring pics, but since i'm not going to get to the header install till the weekend, this is as good as it gets..lol.
first we have a better picture of the 55 gallon rock drum-
img_1553983_0_e513b3ceabae45e5e5ed2f9b878d2106.jpg

where there's a bunch of pumps haphazardly thrown in the barrel at different depths-
img_1553983_1_8c9f07e1283440e453ce542c10991691.jpg

and some zoas barely hanging on....
img_1553983_2_31fbbe3c4777619cce5be8ae74ced14d.jpg

and its been pretty chilly lately hopefully the zoos survive i'm sure if there was life on the rocks the colony will eventually build itself up again, i'm excited to see your rock scape. do you plan on buying more rock? and how much do you plan on putting in the main display and fuge?

looks liek there is a screw i nthe rock i nthe third pic

i removed the screw after shooting the pic....lol
if i had my way i would have the header installed on saturday afternoon, the sheet rock replaced saturday evening, and the tank in it's final resting place sunday. if those miracles are pulled off, the rock would go in monday or tuesday with the tank 3/4 the way full (just below the overflows).

are you makign up the water now?

is the sheet rock going in the fish room to keep mold from buildign because of the humidity or is it for splashing water?

do you mean the dens armor stuff? if so, i haven't bought any yet. i was just gonna focus on fixing the outer wall and worry about the back end later. moisture in general is what i have seen causing the most subtle damage.

i have 50 gallons of water brewing as we speak, but i have to do a water change on the gym tank too (was supposed to do that yesterday)....

put an exhaust fan in your fish room and look into the mold resistant drywall with bathroom paint.

i thought you were talking about the cement drywall board but i just remembered sheet rock is a brand of drywall :p

Ups, didnt see this thread at all LOL
Gonna follow!
Bet ur tank is cycled before mine >.<

Back
Top Bottom