Dragonets/QT question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
If a green mandarin will only eat pods...what do you feed it while it is in QT? Will they eat cyclopeeze?

It is not necessary to QT a mandarin. They are very resistant to parasites and it is not a big risk introducing them directly into the main tank. This is really your only option because they rarely will accept anything but live food. I did this with my spotted mandarin and had no issues.

tripper

tripper said:
It is not necessary to QT a mandarin. They are very resistant to parasites and it is not a big risk introducing them directly into the main tank. This is really your only option because they rarely will accept anything but live food. I did this with my spotted mandarin and had no issues.

tripper

doesn't mean they are parasite or disease free :)

its just a call you need to make, i am thinking....

hopefully your lfs will get one in that accepts prepaired food...

my recommendation is that you DO NOT quarentine a mandarinfish. They are more resistant to parasites than other fish, though as mykpoz said doesnt mean they are disease free, still though if you QT them you will only lessen your chance of keeping them successfully.

I can see where that is the risk with the fish...

I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt left unsaid ;)

Mandarins are by no means immune but are more resistant to certain parasites. That said, it is just as likely to carry in a parasite problem as not. The fish more often than not is brought in half starved and very stressed. This commonly reduces the fishs ability to resist parasites. Any fish no matter it's "dispossition" to one or more types of parasites does not preclude it from others. Either way, you run the risk of itroducing problems..

http://marineaquariumadvice.com/feeding_mandarin_or_synchiropus_splendidus.html

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom