Driftwood help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brendan88AUS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am new to driftwood and would like to get some advice. First of all I was wondering how I could try to keep the water clean and not brown tainted from the driftwood? And second, I would like to know if there is anything I can seal the driftwood In to keep it floating? Thanks guys any feed back would be much appreciated

Boiling dw will remove most of the tannins as well as sterilizing it as well...as far as a sealer to keep it floating,not sure I'd try it as I would be afraid to do fearing that it would result in poisoning the aquarium...

Hello, I am new to driftwood and would like to get some advice. First of all I was wondering how I could try to keep the water clean and not brown tainted from the driftwood? And second, I would like to know if there is anything I can seal the driftwood In to keep it floating? Thanks guys any feed back would be much appreciated

I soaked mine for a week to get rid of any colour. Guess it depends on the wood but I think carbon in filter will clear any tannins. One piece sank after a few days, the other piece I gave up on after 2 weeks and just weighted it down.

The way I weigh my pieces down is with a slate tile ($1.50 from Menards) and a screw. Depending on how large and buoyant the wood is determines how big of piece you'll need to break the tile into. Then I drill a small hole through the tile and attach the driftwood to it with a deck screw. Then just bury the tile in the substrate. Works perfectly.

Another bonus is you can mount the wood in any orientation as opposed to how it wants to sit naturally...an easy way to show off its best side or make a cave for your guys to hide in

If you want to keep it from sinking you can spray it with clear Krylon acrylic spray paint. Do at least three coats and let it dry for a few days. It is safe for tank use after it dries. I did this to a piece of wood to keep the bark on it. It has been in my tank for a year with no problem. If you ever want it to sink you will have to attach a piece of slate to it. After it is clear coated it will not absorb water.

id be dubious about spraying anything on it, even though it is probably safe...
i know plecs like to munch on driftwood...ill throw a guess in by saying some other fish do too...
entirely your choice.
couple of screws sounds like a better idea.

Sorry, I mis-read - did you want to keep it floating at surface?

Lol :) usually it is getting the stuff to sink. I've never thought of floating it but curious now on how it would look.

I'm going to see how floating driftwood is going to look I think it might be a great idea.

So I floated some drift wood stayed up for a few days and the fish were constantly chilling around it then it just sank but look cool

Back
Top Bottom