Driftwood issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I got a piece of driftwood that I was cleaning and getting it aquarium safe. I left it outside for 4 days and came back to see it infested with ants. Well my question is how long do u think I should leave it underwater? I can't put it in an oven because it is 4 ft long and about a foot wide so its to big for it.

Aquarium isn't setup yet so no fish I was going to cycle my tank with the decor already in it

Well I wonder since the ants will float up alive (since they can swim too) I didn't want them in my room and I know they will drown eventually I just wanted to know a time frame in which it will take. My driftwood sinks so i'm not worry about that.

Imo, if possible, I would put it in tub of hot water, drown them to floating, take dw out, let them go down drain, repeat till no more ants

Imo, if possible, I would put it in tub of hot water, drown them to floating, take dw out, let them go down drain, repeat till no more ants

Def tub full of hot water. The problem you might run into will be all the bodies and eggs left in the wood. As they decay it's going to pollute the water. Good chance theres hundreds or even thousands of ants hidden inside.

Back
Top Bottom