driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a piece of de that I've been soaking since I got it( 3 days) and the water has been clear all 3 days does that mean I can put it in the tank or should I give it another day or 2?

Were you changing the water everyday? If so and it's clear, I too say put it in your tank. If it leachs more tannins, you can always pull it and resoak, or use poly-fil in your filter and it'll grab the tannins from the water column like a magnet.

Yea i've been changing the water every day and thank you for the responses

baronbasher said:
Dumb question, but what is poly-fil and where can you get it?

It's like filter floss at 1/2 the price. You can get it at craft or fabric stores and I recommend the Fairfield brand as it's free of fire retardants, mildew reducers, etc. I use it in all my filters (HOB, canister and intank), have it so the flow hits the sponge first, poly-fil next and biomedia last and I replace it every week or 2 depending on filter maintenance and how dirty it gets.

Ok so I've been soaking the driftwood for 8 days now( changing the water everyday) but when I try to put it in my tank it just floats am I donig something wrong or did I forget to do something?

Ok so I've been soaking the driftwood for 8 days now( changing the water everyday) but when I try to put it in my tank it just floats am I donig something wrong or did I forget to do something?

Nope ... it's the nature of the beast:D Some DW will sink right away, some after weeks of being submerged ... which means tying it down to a rock, while some never wants to sink. So far it sounds like you've done everything right.
The best thing you can do it tie it down to a piece of slate and eventually it'll waterlog. One last thing you could try if you haven't already is to boil it which tends to "open up" the wood pores so water can get in there. Worth a try.

Thanks I'll try boiling it(if it fits in a pot i have) if not I'll just tie it down cause I already have the poly-fil in my filter and was hoping I could put it in already

Thanks I'll try boiling it(if it fits in a pot i have) if not I'll just tie it down cause I already have the poly-fil in my filter and was hoping I could put it in already

Not sure if it was already suggested and I'm too lazy right now to check:facepalm: ... but members have run DW through a dishwasher on high temp setting, sometimes twice ... minus the dirty dishes and detergent of course:D. Basically serves the same purpose as boiling.

Ok so since I don't have a pot big enough or a dishwasher if I tie it down with fishing line the fish won't try and eat it will they?(cause I'm also thinking of putting 2 fishing bobbers in the tank as decor and to hide the electrical wires for my LED bubble wands)

Ok so I decided to weigh down my 2 pieces of driftwood with fishing lime and 6oz sinkersafter 6 days 1 is now staying on the bottom of the tank and one piece is still floating is there anything I can do to the piece that's still floating to help it sink? I also tried pouring boiling water over it and it didn't work that's why I decided to try to weigh it down in the tank. Any suggestions?

Ok so I decided to weigh down my 2 pieces of driftwood with fishing lime and 6oz sinkersafter 6 days 1 is now staying on the bottom of the tank and one piece is still floating is there anything I can do to the piece that's still floating to help it sink? I also tried pouring boiling water over it and it didn't work that's why I decided to try to weigh it down in the tank. Any suggestions?

Other than just boiling and soaking it over and over ..... it Sounds like your doing everything possible to promote sinking of the DW.

Just the nature of the beast with DW ... some take what seems forever to sink.
If it's a piece your heart is set on having in the tank, just weigh it down and leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom