Driftwood Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can I be sure some DW I've found is safe. It was in my dads garden. I found some at the lake and I'm not so worried bout those pieces but the piece in my dads garden is amazing and I'm dying to use it but don't want it to rot or anything. How can I be sure it's ok ,??

Is it hardwood or softwood? Softwood will rot quicker, so id recommend hardwoods. Dont just plunk it in the tank, you should boil it.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Is it hardwood or softwood? Softwood will rot quicker, so id recommend hardwoods. Dont just plunk it in the tank, you should boil it.

I've been soaking the DW from the lake and I'm washing it in the dishwasher right now. Just dunno bout the big piece. It was in his garden for years but idk it kinds chips off easy so it is probably to soft... I want to use it so bad!!! Lol lol

Keep going with this thread, it's something I'd like to learn more about. When I told my dad I wanted to buy some wood for my tank he gave me the funniest look :)

I wouldn't chance wood from the garden. Pesticides, fertilizers, anything used to keep the garden in good shape could have soaked into that wood and it may not be "cleanable".

Yeah I think I've decided against it but I'll post pics of the awesome piece

img_1476002_0_76d76745c17033265e3615c84834ca3d.jpg

img_1476002_1_402eebb2a897a39f5e34a03f830e5141.jpg

img_1476002_2_0aeaddef3fce0f6c82b58b086a65499e.jpg

I wouldn't chance wood from the garden. Pesticides, fertilizers, anything used to keep the garden in good shape could have soaked into that wood and it may not be "cleanable".

This was my thought to the T. However I do have an idea......Many out there may not like this, however it is an option...If you want the dw bad enough, I'd boil it and setup a trial tank. test your water drop in a 10cent feeder fish or 2 and see what happens. Its possible IMO if your pops hasnt used any chemicals for the garden, spray or otherwise, in a long time maybe it will work. idk just a thought.

It's like the perfect fish cave

lol Now I jealous of your wood :) That is a freaki awesome fish cave. What came from the garden and what came from the lake or are these diff. Awesome none the less!

Rush81 said:
This was my thought to the T. However I do have an idea......Many out there may not like this, however it is an option...If you want the dw bad enough, I'd boil it and setup a trial tank. test your water drop in a 10cent feeder fish or 2 and see what happens. Its possible IMO if your pops hasnt used any chemicals for the garden, spray or otherwise, in a long time maybe it will work. idk just a thought.

I actually put it in a tank before but I did an almost complete pwc b4 adding fish. I did think of those things ( poisons and such ) but my dad said it would be ok. I believe he told me there wasn't any pesticides or anything on it... Besides it's Rained on it and been in the sun and I have already soaked and rinsed a few times ( I got it for my cichlids tanks months ago ) I probably won't use it bc it seems pretty soft... It is just such an amazing piece.... Lol

Rush81 said:
lol Now I jealous of your wood :) That is a freaki awesome fish cave. What came from the garden and what came from the lake or are these diff. Awesome none the less!

That one was in my dads garden

Back
Top Bottom