Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ivy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there any reason I shouldn't use Mesquite Driftwood in my tank?

One of the strange things that you will notice, is that when you put some driftwood I found into my tank and now the water is turning brown.
The brown is the tannic acid leaching out of the piece into the water. Some people like this because it gives them a "black water effect". The leaching can continue for months or years after you introduce the piece to your tank. Another reason I like the boil/soak method listed in the last question is I think it helps to decrease the amount of tannic acid that leaches out once the piece is in the tank. One other way to reduce this "black water effect" is to do more frequent/larger (percentage) water changes. It has also been noted that the tannic acid can lower the pH in your tank. If you are concerned about this, then keep an eye on your pH level with regular testing. Another suggestion is to find a piece that has been "weathered", supposedly the piece will contain less tannic acid, as it will have already leached out during the "weathering" process. You can also add another carbon cartridge to your filter system to help clear up the staining. Remember to change your carbon cartridge more often if you have a very active leaching piece.

Good day, dear Dzukiki4, as I see you are informed :) so, can I ask you?-
I soaked my driftwood for months and still won't sink to the bottom of the tank. What is the reason?

:(

Some pieces will never sink. A lot of people will anchor their driftwood using stainless steel screws into a piece of slate. The tannins that leach out are not harmful to fish however. The driftwood dropping your pH (if it is a large piece) can be potentially harmful. Just make sure to check your parameters.

actually, one of the reasons that I am so interested in driftwood is because I have naturally alkaline water and would like to lower the pH in my water. Right now it is at 7.6 and I would like to see it closer to 7. Thank you for the advice. I am bleaching, rinsing, baking, boiling, drying in the sun then sinking, so it may be about a month before I actually get it in the tank:D

Well a month of constantly soaking, boiling seems good. I actually soaked my pieces for 3 months before I was happy and saw no visible tannins in the sink I was soaking them in.
Then again, I was not in a rush to place the pieces in the tank.

first of all you want to make sure the wood is dead and dried out. never used that wood my self so not 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom