Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBsDad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently cycling my daughters 29 gallon tank and am looking for a larger tank for myself. I'm thinking 55 gallon plus, whatever I find that size or larger. While my daughters tank is what you would expect from a 10 year old, red, white and blue gravel, no fishing sign, sunken ship, plastic plants etc, etc, I want something a little different.

I'm thinking pool filter sand, live plants, rock structures and driftwood. All natural looking, in other words. My question relates to driftwood. Since the river is near flood stage right now, when it goes down there will be tons of driftwood left behind. I was thinking of scouring the banks for just the right pieces. Once I find the ones I want, how do I clean them? I have read that people boil them, but how in the world do you boil a large piece of wood???
I would also like to bleach a few small pieces to a very light color. I could probably boil those, and rinse repeatedly to remove any bleach residue as well as soak them in water with heavy doses of dechlorinator. Would that be OK?
Finally, once all of the pieces are cleaned and dry, would storing them in a sealed tub in the barn be OK until the tank is ready?

Rinse it with a hose, run it through the dishwasher (no soap), soak it for a couple weeks, done. But... be careful where you get it. Many rivers have a lot of pollution in them. I'd definitely soak it for quite a while before putting it in the tank.

mfdrookie516 said:
Rinse it with a hose, run it through the dishwasher (no soap), soak it for a couple weeks, done. But... be careful where you get it. Many rivers have a lot of pollution in them. I'd definitely soak it for quite a while before putting it in the tank.

What do we soak it in?

Washing it in the dishwasher...not gonna happen. Wouldn't fit anyway even if the wife would allow it. I might be able to get a galvanized wash tub and boil it on the fire pit. That will be an interesting conversation starter for the Saturday beer/fire crowd. They are used to seeing me cook out, but boiled log will be a first.
The river I refer to is the Ohio river. Definately polluted with mercury and pcb's, both of which settle on the bottom. That was another concern I had. So, how long is "quite a while"? I haven't even found the tank yet, and am in no real hurry, so I could concievably soak it for months, maybe even until next spring since gardening season is upon us here. I could do weekly water changes and use a compost tea bubbler/pump to keep the water moving between changes.
I could probably send a piece of the wood off to the lab to be tested for mercury and pcb's. I'll have to call them tomorrow to see if they are able to do that.

Ouch... yeah the Ohio river is pretty nasty! To be completely honest, for the cost, buying driftwood would be easier, safer, and not all that expensive. www.thedriftwoodstore.com has some good reviews... i've yet to order any as my LFS had quite the selection. But, quite a while would be a month or so for me. Even then, coming out of the Ohio, i'd be worried.

Back
Top Bottom