Driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tormented

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long would it take sap from wood to kill fish? Or toxins.

I was just reading about how to cure drift wood. I was wondering if Crape myrtle has sap.

Driftwood Question

How long would it take sap from wood to kill fish? Or toxins.

I was just reading about how to cure drift wood. I was wondering if Crape myrtle has sap.

Hello Tor...

There's nothing in wood that would be toxic to your fish. Sap is mainly water, sugar, minerals and nutrients. If you're concerned about bacteria, then put the piece in your dishwasher and run a cycle or two. Obviously without the soap. Afterward, you can soak the piece in some of your treated, new tank water for a few days. The driftwood will need to be weighted down with rocks, but should be safe for your tank.

Just a couple of thoughts, you're the boss.

B

I agree with Bradbury. It will not be toxic to them or kill them, in my experience, but if you want to avoid it you can go ahead with those steps. Do not be worried about it killing the fish, though. MIne were fine with it back when I had it.

Hm

The pieces I have were fresh. I baked it and boiled it several times.... I think it is thoroughly(sp?) dead :lol:

The wood ( 1 bigger piece of crape myrtle, a few smaller pieces, and a piece of oak that was in our pond for 6+ months) has been in a little 3-5 gallon tote with 2 fish(Male platy+male guppy), a baby crayfish and 5 baby mystery snails. Everyone is still alive, and it is day 5.

EDIT: Put ALL the wood in my tank... Pictures! Crappy though, because I took them with my ipod

63926-albums11611-picture51517t.jpg
63926-albums11611-picture51516t.jpg
63926-albums11611-picture51515t.jpg
63926-albums11611-picture51514t.jpg

Back
Top Bottom