Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS told me that it isn't good to have driftwood with African cichlids and that I shouldn't do it. Is this true? If so, why? Do any of you keep cichlids with driftwood?

I'm pretty sure cichlids love driftwood, I personally don't have experience with the two. But ya many cichlid owners will put driftwood in there tanks. You have to soak it in something though I believe, otherwise it will turn your tank a brownish color. Also it may mess with the water parameters, again I'm not positive. Someone with more knowledge on this subject will chime in, just my thoughts.

I believe the thought behind this is that the DW would soften the water and/or lower the pH. I don't keep African cichlids so I cannot confirm this.

Driftwood leeches tannic acid, which lowers the pH of water and stains the water an amber color. Since the rift lakes in Africa are of high pH, it is advised not to place driftwood in the tank, and rather put rocks that will add to the dissolved solids in the water, and this raising the pH, like holey rock for example.

However, driftwood will not lower the pH that greatly, and this many get by with it in their rift lake tanks, especially if using a buffer.

IME, driftwood has not lowered my ph. As long as you have a buffer like crushed coral, I wouldn't worry about it. Then again, they're hardy and can tolerate a lower PH, I think down to 7.6 or so.

Oh ok, so do you think that as long as i have something to offset the low PH I should be fine?

I can also say that I saw no difference in my pH after I added driftwood, there no problem with Africans and driftwood.

Why don't you buy fake driftwood. That's what i did to stay away from this problem. Because my ph is sitting around 7.5 and I do not want it to get any lower.

Why don't you buy fake driftwood. That's what i did to stay away from this problem. Because my ph is sitting around 7.5 and I do not want it to get any lower.

Where can I get some that still looks really natural? I feel like none of my LFSs have them, or at least i've never seen them.

It slowly lowers ph I've never seen it in any of my cichlids tanks. But it's a really good water conditioner a fresh piece of bog wood leaches tannins which can help certain cichlids with spawning and adds nutrients to the water like almond leaves do. If it does soften the water it does it very slowly :)

I was advised to put driftwood in my tank I I have a pleco. But I didn't really want driftwood for some of the above mentioned reasons.

Many of us do have driftwood & just looks great when you find the right now that "you" like! (y) Now, your KH plays a role in this as well. If you have a high KH vaule you wont see a little drop or none at all (depends also how big the tank, wood added etc) The KH-PH goes hand in hand.

Holey rocks, lime stone, etc is also an added plus if in your tank cause it's a buffer as well. If you want to check out how much it lowers your pH or even if it does... just put the wood in cooler, a spare tank etc anywhere you let it soak in water. Let it soak 24hr. Test the pH and see how much it lower it. Retest after another 24hrs. You will get an idea.... You also want to test your water after 24hrs to get a real PH you have. You might start with a pH of 8.0 and after 24hrs it might me 7.8. So, if a 7.8 pH & after soaking your wood for 24 it goes to 7.2...you will know. Then again the added buffer in your tanks will take care of that...

It will not significantly lower your pH. However..with african cichlids you can add things like carbonate rocks such as limestone to buffer the release of tannens. The rocks don't up it much compared to the DW tannic acid. Personally..if you have rocks you could just add and have no driftwood that is ideal. All in all, it would come down to the size of the DW too. If they are small I wouldn't worry..if you're adding alot of big pieces then I wouldn't do that

Plecs graze on bog wood. also it helps there digestive system stops them getting blocked up, so it's always a gd idea have a bit of bog wood in your tank if you own plecs :)

True but the majority of plec species do, and the 1s that don't still chew it up real good :)

Ok so im planning to do a major rescape, and get some natural river rocks, would that buffer the ph to even out the driftwood? And if i did get driftwood, would you suggest malaysian, bogwood, or another kind? Or to just be safe, should i not get it at all?

Back
Top Bottom