Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd suggest manzanita, as it doesn't turn the water that amber color like Malaysian will

I have Malaysian and have no color change. If you have any carbon in your filtration it will take it out. My malaysian is also less than a week old and I only soaked it in warm water for about a hour.

I have Malaysian and have no color change. If you have any carbon in your filtration it will take it out. My malaysian is also less than a week old and I only soaked it in warm water for about a hour.

...it's not going to be instantaneous...I've had three large pieces and they all have done it. It will happen eventually unless you remain extremely diligent on your water changes. I also depends on the size of the wood relative the the tank size

You also have to think about the fact that almost all fish youre going to get will be tank raised. They are not use to high ph of lakes and therefore will not be bothered as much by a slightly lower ph.

I would simply keep the driftwood out. Scape using rocks in particular blue stone. Stones will provide minerals etc which the africans need - plus IMO it will look a heap better.

It really comes down to what you prefer. The DW wont drop your ph drastically and if you have buffers it likely wont change it much at all. Like someone said earlier, unless they are wild caught fish, they are used to a lower ph as most lfs's dont keep their fish at high ph. So i say if you want some DW go for it.

If I'm veering more towards not using DW are there other ways for plecos to get their fiber?

I would simply keep the driftwood out. Scape using rocks in particular blue stone. Stones will provide minerals etc which the africans need - plus IMO it will look a heap better.

What is blue stone?

Freakgecko91 said:
Driftwood leeches tannic acid, which lowers the pH of water and stains the water an amber color. Since the rift lakes in Africa are of high pH, it is advised not to place driftwood in the tank, and rather put rocks that will add to the dissolved solids in the water, and this raising the pH, like holey rock for example.

However, driftwood will not lower the pH that greatly, and this many get by with it in their rift lake tanks, especially if using a buffer.

This is the right answer. I find the ph altering effects of driftwood as quite overrated. Regardless, I don't think driftwood makes very good decor for Africans, I much prefer rocky and more open water tanks depending on the type.

Freakgecko91 said:
I'd suggest manzanita, as it doesn't turn the water that amber color like Malaysian will

I've had mixed results with Malaysian. Also, Friends of mine have said if you boil it, the tannin leak is "one and done". I just never had a pot large enough to do it.

I've had mixed results with Malaysian. Also, Friends of mine have said if you boil it, the tannin leak is "one and done". I just never had a pot large enough to do it.

For sure! All three I had were/are 2+ feet long! No boiling for me haha when I changed my 39 column from misfit new world to a tanganyikan tank, I can believe the difference in water clarity just from removing the driftwood. I need to add a little more back in for my bristle nose, but I used to have to keep 2 lights over my tank as the tannins made it near impossible for light to get through. Now, a single t8 bulb is enough! And it's about 2 ft deep!

But my 6.6 has two pieces in it with no problem.

Is there anything else a bristlenose can chew on - I like the rock-only look for Africans.

howmanyds said:
Is there anything else a bristlenose can chew on - I like the rock-only look for Africans.

Just hide some small pieces of wood in the back behind the rocks. You don't need a lot and you can hide easily.

Anybody want this driftwood lol it's HUGE

Attachments

• image-2234606781.jpg
    image-2234606781.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 66
Lol it's hard to tell but that thing is at least 3 foot all away around. It washed up from storms a few weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom