driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought some driftwood for my tank as I am planning on adding a pair of GBRs soon!! This is my first time using driftwood so just looking to know what all I need to do before I put it in the tank and any other good info!

Depend on size you could boil the dw to take the tannis away or you could leave it in a bucket full of water and empty daily till the discolouration disappear but I didnt, I just scrubbed the dw to get it clean as possible and added to the tank and did water changes twice aweek till the colouring changes to crystal clear and I did it with fishes in the tank it didnt make a different to my fishes dont know if I was just lucky but I didn't know about soaking or boiling

If you bought it from an aquarium or pet store it makes things easier, but just check there isn't a warning such as "not suitable for aquarium use" on any tags it came with. I'd give scrub it (in just tap water), boil it if it's small enough, then place it in a bucket for a couple of days to see if it changes the water colour.

If it does you basically have 2 options: keep soaking in a bucket and changing the water every few days, until it no longer changes the water colour, then add it in. Or you can add it to your tank straight away like newbietofishes doing normal water changes in your tank and the water will eventually clear up. Some people like water's colour when the driftwood changes it (wood releases tannins, and this is what discolours the water. It's not harmful to the fish, a lot of fish actually like it as it's found in their natural habitat. It's just a matter of aesthetics really)

If it doesn't change the bucket water's colour you should be good to add straight into the aquarium with no hassle.

Your driftwood might not sink either. I've heard of people who have had wood that hasn't sunk for over a year! That's pretty rare though. If the wood floats I'd recommend tying it down to some heavy rocks, rather than letting it float at the top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom