Dry ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know you're across the pond, but check out Green Leaf Aquariums. They've got both PPS Pro and EI Dosing starter packs. That should give you a good start on the raw materials you need. Hopefully you can find them locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

[QU OTE=RadMax8;3103926]I know you're across the pond, but check out Green Leaf Aquariums. They've got both PPS Pro and EI Dosing starter packs. That should give you a good start on the raw materials you need. Hopefully you can find them locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I was hoping someone could tell me what things the plants need like potassium nitrate etc. what do the plants need I should have said.

Greenleafaquariums wont ship to the UK
Aquariumplantfood.co.uk is the place to go

Plants need macros and micros

Macros are the main needs of plants,
Nitrate (N)
Potassium (K)
Phosphorus (P)

These are your NPK's you'll hear people mention.

Micros are all the things a plant will use in small amounts:
Iron
Calcium
Magnesium
Boron
Zinc
Copper
Manganese
Molybdenum

Theres probably loads more. These are all included in tiny amounts in most micro fertilisers

Which applies to E.I dosing or is it both? Should I buy the macros separate or is there a product that has them all?

Is there a good calculator I can use for dosing dry ferts?

The EI dosing kit comes with all the macro dry salts and a micro salt mix too. You get two dosing bottles included.

Most people buy a third bottle and use it to mix the nitrate into. A lot of tanks dont need the nitrate dosed as the fish waste provides enough through the cycling process. I never dose my tank with nitrates.

As for the calculator i am unsure. I would think youd at least want to half the dosing if not more for a low tech setup

The EI dosing kit comes with all the macro dry salts and a micro salt mix too. You get two dosing bottles included.

Most people buy a third bottle and use it to mix the nitrate into. A lot of tanks dont need the nitrate dosed as the fish waste provides enough through the cycling process. I never dose my tank with nitrates.

As for the calculator i am unsure. I would think youd at least want to half the dosing if not more for a low tech setup

Thanks skelly

In another not could you id these plants for me please

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417540731.079190.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417540785.174192.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417540812.929074.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417540838.820795.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417540857.233532.jpg

I'm guessing they are all low light. Just wondering if any needed root tabs. I guess the sword will if it is a sword

I'd recommend removing the rockwool from around the roots on your..all plants should do well in a low - tech setup...

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

I'd recommend removing the rockwool from around the roots on your..all plants should do well in a low - tech setup...

Not entirely true. Theres no way dwarf baby tears will do well in low tech

I've literally just put these plants in so they look a little worse for wear. I never knew you had to take the foam stuff out from around the roots.

Not entirely true. Theres no way dwarf baby tears will do well in low tech

My comment was aimed towards the plants in the op's pics..

I ordered the starter kit from aquariumfood.co.uk.

It's dry fert kit including.

Potassium phosphate 250g
Potassium nitrate 500g
Magnesium sulphate 500g
Chelated trace elements 250g

How long would these weights last in a low light tank roughly? It doesn't sound a lot.

Also is there enough potassium in the phosphate and nitrate salts to constitute as a decent potassium dosage?

I a also bought the potassium sulphate but I think you got plenty potassium there for low light

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is much magnesium sulphate needed? I've cut back on nitrate dosing as the tank was supplying more than I thought. Also don't dose phosphate as the tank had been supplying plenty plus DIY substrate tabs (may have to get some soon though).

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/PMDD.htm

I wanted potassium sulphate but only noticed I got mag after I ordered. As long as the nitrate and phosphate give enough potassium then it's no biggie. I prob won't use the mag as I have crushed coral in the filter.

You need to remember at low light levels your plants will be growing slower.
Low light = low energy
High light = high energy

With lower energy available to the plants their fert uptake is going to be a lot slower

Back
Top Bottom