dry rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ste76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I am about to convert my fresh water tank to a reef tank and would like to ask a question about dry rock. As I am new to saltwater I am a little concerned about the potential to introduce some bad hitchhikers and not knowing how to deal with them if it happens.
If I use only dry rock, how would I start the cycle? And in time, would it be as effective as starting with live rock? I know the cycle will take a lot longer but I dont have an issue with that.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks

If you want to start a virgin tank, here's what I'd do. Take some of the rocks from the top of your structure and out them into a 1-5 gal pail. Top with water and add a bottle of Dr Tim's or other additive to the bucket. Leave it for 1-2 days with a heater. Then place the rocks back in the tank and start a normal fish less cycle.

When you are ready to start your cycle buy some Dr Tims One and Only with their ammonia. Follow directions and you'll be cycled in about a week. Did my 75 and 24 nano had no issues.

no you wont. But the bacteria in the bottle will have eaten all the ammonia. So your ammonia level will hit 0. But once this pretend cycle is complete, you'll have very little BB on your rocks and sand.

So using a second tank is better? Just know what has worked for me.

I would just put all the rock in and toss a raw cocktail shrimp in the tank and wait it out. 3 weeks to a month and you will be good to go.

no you wont. But the bacteria in the bottle will have eaten all the ammonia. So your ammonia level will hit 0. But once this pretend cycle is complete, you'll have very little BB on your rocks and sand.

Pretend cycle??? No it's not pretend, your bb need continues amounts of ammonia to live, no ammonia in your tank an your bb start dying off unless you have something making small amounts of ammonia that are undetectable with a test kit.
If your ammonia goes to 0. After your cycle your good to add at least one fish if not more to see how the battle goes

No, I mean pretend in that the burst of BB growth happens in the water coloum. We want to BB to build up on the rocks and substrate. For that we need an abundance of ammonia in the water, which dear old Dr Tim's will sadly remove when we need it the most.

No, I mean pretend in that the burst of BB growth happens in the water coloum. We want to BB to build up on the rocks and substrate. For that we need an abundance of ammonia in the water, which dear old Dr Tim's will sadly remove when we need it the most.

It builds up where dead matter is, which is in or on you rock or sand or where dead particles build up on like power heads, thermometers anything in your tank pretty much! what's in the water is free floating copepods ( planktonic ) very beneficial to your marine aquarium

Thanks everyone for your advice. Sorry I haven't thanked you earlier but I've been on holiday.
Just one more question please. I have been reading a bit more about dry rock and I think I am going to seed it with a piece of live rock.
As I plan on growing soft corals, is there a dry rock type that corals prefer? I apologise if thats a stupid question but I have heard people saying that dry rock is no good for corals.
My thinking is that as the dry rock will eventually become live it shouldn't matter.

You don't need to seed it with live rock if you don't want to. Besides being cheaper, dry rock is void of hitch hikers. You are "seeding" the dry rock with hitch hikers, good and/or bad.
The statement that dry rock is no good for corals is ridiculous. You are right. it will become live in a short time.

Thanks this is helping to too I want to do the same for my 79g bow. Do all the research I can now before I start. This is going to be my first reef tank and first tank in about 12 years. A lot has changed since then!

Back
Top Bottom