Dry Start Method - Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you have been following my 6g iwagumi build, I am wanting to carpet the AquaSoil with HC. I want to start it using the DSM, but with with the slopes of the tank im not sure how to do it...here is what I posted on my thread:

Ok, now I have everything I guess I am ready to start the DSM with the HC!!! But i have an issue...since the scape involves the slopes and river, and I want to carpet each side of the river with HC, and the slopes go downward, how am I supposed to do it? I mean, you are supposed to add just enough water in the tank to saturate the roots but not over the substrate, but since it is not a flat slope the water level will have to be high to get to the roots of the HC at the tops of the hills...flooding the bottom part of the tank where the other HC will grow....did that make any sense at all?

And if you want to see pics of the scape I am using

13ye6om.jpg

11i3f44.jpg

More info is on my thread... any help is greatly appreciated!

Wonder if using an old spray bottle of some sort would work to just soak the top layer of soil and the water would seep down to the roots. Not sure but I am curious on this as well

If you can keep the humidity level up it'll probably be fine. As mentioned, you may need to hit it with a spray bottle periodically. After a week or so they should harden off some and be less dependent on spritzing.

The roots should still be getting some moisture from capillary action.

Thanks y'all. Are there any mosses i can do DSM with? I was wanting to see if I could attach the moss and get it going on the DW while the HC was doing its thing so I could have it pretty much rooted and going by the time I flood it! Except, I want to add b. japonica or something in the back so I would just have to wait until I flood it before I plant those....

I have java moss that is growing emersed just fine although if it can't wick water it may dry up, so you may have to keep spritzing it daily.

Awesome thanks, what type of moss do you think would look good on the DW I have in there? Also, how often would I need to spray inside the tank for the HC to grow? How much water should I pour in the tank since it is sloped so awkwardly?

Well the water should be minimal because if it pools in there you'll have algae growth. I'm not sure how people have tackled the slope problem, it may be worth a google.

I like flame moss, not sure how it grows emersed.

A club member of mine adapted a mini reptile humidifier to keep his tank moist. He also sealed the tank with plastic wrap, venting daily for air exchange if I remember right.

There are a ton of articles on The Planted Tank and vids on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom