Dwarf Angel Hangs out in Torch Coral???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there, I just got a dwarf angel. He's very cute but he hides a lot! I assume this is because he's still getting used to his new home. Tonight though, I found him hidding in my Torch Coral! Is he safe in there? I'm worried the torch coral will sting him. He's underneath where the roots are, doesn't seem to be touching the tenticles too much. Thoughts?

I saw an interesting program on Discovery channel about reefs and they mentioned divers have just discovered the clown fish/anemone symbiotic behavior spreading among other fish in the reef. Your case, we're not dealing with either a clown nor an anemone, but I would imagine this angel realizes the benefits of hanging around the torch coral. Perhaps even learned in the reef before capture. There is always dangers due to the coral's toxic stings just as there is always a danger for clowns within their anemones, but I'd take this as a good opportunity to observe a very recent discovery. Quite interesting :)

Even clown fish need to 'prepare' themselves to be able to co exist with the anemone without being detected as a fish. I've read that clowns are not immune to the stings of anemones and the wiggling behavior provides two main assets to the clowns. It masks their fishy scent to that of the anemone, so the clown isn't recognized as a fish, but part of the anemone and helps excrete an extra layer of protective slime to help provent the anemone's tentacles from penetrating the clown if they do go to sting.

This behavior was witnessed mostly with hawk fish taking residence in anemones as well as gobies. The study is looking into the possibility of learning capacity of these fish from this newly observed behavior. They believe the other fish that they've seen use anemones have learned this behavior by watching and mimicing the clowns.

On ocassion I have seen clowns and damsels take to types of coral such as bubbles, torches, hammers, frogspawn...just about anything with long flowy tentacles in aquariums. I even witnessed a tomatoe clown treating a fake plant like it was an anemone. It was entertaining to watch her attempt to feed it...LOL.

If you feel that uncomfortable about it, you can always try moving the torch. The angel may or may not follow. That would be interesting.

Well, those are my thoughts :)

Does anyone know if it's normal for torch coral to suck its tenticles all the way into it's arms every day or every other day and then back out again?

It's very normal for all coral to tuck in when disturbed or resting. Other factors would indicate what the disturbance is, if any. If it's 'sick', then it would most likely stay tucked in for prolong periods of time and may show physical signs of decay.

I have a tomato clown that lives in my pagoda cup and a gold maroon that lives in the bubble coral in my avatar. Amazing

Back
Top Bottom