Dwarf cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chenay83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got tons of help the last time I asked for opinions. This time I need to know how many dwarf cichlids I can put in a standard 200 gal tank. I want them to have enough space to be happy but not so much room that it looks empty. Thanks again for your time.

Chenay83 said:
I got tons of help the last time I asked for opinions. This time I need to know how many dwarf cichlids I can put in a standard 200 gal tank. I want them to have enough space to be happy but not so much room that it looks empty. Thanks again for your time.

Let's just say quite a few but remember they are mostly bottom dwellers so your tank will never look "full" but start with a few pairs test your levels if your nitrates are NOT too high get a couple more pairs until your nitrates are still safe but also watch for aggression and offer lots of caves and other hiding spots I have one 80 gallon with a dozen pairs which is where I keep them until I pick parents for breeding but I have loads of rocks and caves for hiding so aggression is at a minimum

I don't really want to give a for sure number without know how often you clean and change water and the footprint of the tank but I would say about 24 with lots of hiding spots

I have never stocked a large tank with dwarfs, but I've kept a few. What are you interested in? Properly set up, you could do groups of multiple species.

I once had several ( around 20) dwarfs in my 150g with lots of hiding places but they were so comfortable they rarely hid lol to keep my tank from the "empty look" i added 50 neons 50 cardinals 25 fancy guppies and even a male betta with a few females. It was quite beautiful and i would sumtimes get lost for long periods of time just staring at the schooling tetras lol so with a tank that size u have LOTS of options as long as u do ur homework good luck an plz post pics ;)

As of right now I would like to have

Cacatuoids
Bolivians
Goldens
Laetacara Curviceps

I'm thinking 3 of each 1m & 2f.
Exept the Bolivians maybe 6 of those.
I'm not sure about what fish I could use to fill the space on the upper levels that need the same water conditions. Other than the American Flag. Does that souns.ok so far? Oh I do plan to use RO water, if that info mattets.

platnium angels dont get very big and they do hang in the upper levels... and they are beautiful and graceful!

Wow they are pretty. I will include them for sure. How many should I get if those are the only other fish I put in the tank?

Wait I spoke too soon. I did a bit of reading up on them and they need a temp in the upper seventy's. My tank is going to be too warm for them. Any other suggestions?

I don't think angels care about the temperature (if that's what fish you are referring to). Mine did fine in 80 F water at times.

If they're the only other fish in the tank, I would suggest four of them.

Have you thought about schooling fish? Rainbows would look amazing in that tank (y)

Ok great! I'll have to do a little reading about the rainbows to see how well they would work thanks for the suggestion. Any more ideas?

Sorry it took so long I had to do some research. Rainbow are said to be nippers so they might not be a good idea. Any more suggestions?

Platinum is just a color of angel, its not indicative of their size. Angels do get big when they are housed properly. They also get territorial and can be pretty aggressive. While many people (myself included) have success with them kept with various dwarf cichlids, just beware that the more territorial fish you put into one tank, the greater potential for problems you can have. Also, 3 angels is hardly ever a good idea.

I think dwarf cichlids are great. Good idea to have like 6 Bolivians. IME they do best in pairs, not trios. Unless you get more males than females. I am not sure about the cacatuoids, but I have heard they are similar. The goldens should be ok, but they can be more aggressive than the other dwarves IME, so make sure not to overstock the bottom or else the goldens could cause problems. :)
Sounds like it should be a fun tank!

Yeah, that could be difficult since the dwarves stay at the bottom. What temp are you planning to keep the tank at?

Discus are beautiful! I have never kept them personally. Too expensive for me at this moment. There are a good handful of people on here who keep/breed them though.

Angels can handle the heat they will actually appreciate you for that, yes 78 is fine for them JME the angels I keep currently keep the breeding pairs tanks run 80-82 and the youngsters that are growing up with some discus, buffalo heads and my lone male uaru's tank is 84. Have another pair of angels that are in with some curviceps that are growing out and that tank is running at 82.
If you decide on discus try and find yourself a local breeder, they will have been spawned in similiar water and much easier for you to acclimate to your water. And if you can find them at 2" or more in size also much easier to get them rolling.
Either way angels or discus would be a stunning addition to a dwarf cichlid tank, awesome centerpieces for the upper level, okay I'm rambling

Shay you are not rambling. Is it hard to keep the discus you have healthy? Do you keep breeding pairs in the same tank as angels?

When I kept breeding pairs of discus they were in their own tanks (life changes had to sell them), when young ones got to the point of pairing off I let them spawn in the main tank where they've grown up then pull them to their own tanks.

If you get healthy discus to begin with, stay up on their water changes they are a very rewarding fish. They are one of my top 10 favs!!!!

Got some thumbnail size discus from a friend/trusted breeder and had them shipped into me, was a group of mixed blue turqs and marlboro reds. When the weather got warm here, I cleaned the 150g water trough/pond, put a heater in it as backup to keep it 80F at night, sponge filter, etc... but otherwise tried to keep it somewhat natural. Had water lily's, java moss, couple pieces of driftwood that were soaking from the coast. Other residents were itty bitty angels, an extra male krib and some guppys. Anyways these discus grew faster than the tank discus, guess what I'm trying to say is the key is healthy discus in the beginning. Since this is going to be your first time with them try and find a local breeder, get as big as you can get for yourself, the bigger the easier, the bigger ones are a bit more forgiving

Back
Top Bottom