Dwarf Cichlids ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lubopepper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all, Hi everyone new here so I must apologize if a similar thread already exists.
Recently set up a 100 litre tank, after a few years in the fish keeping wilderness and for the first time I'm hoping to keep Cichlids (dwarf). Tank has been set up for about 2 weeks,no fish in it as yet, ph running at a steady 7.0, temp 78 deg/f.
Question is, what type of dwarf cichlids can I keep in a tank this size and how many ?

with a PH of 7 you arn't really looking at Malawi dwarfs, a user: The Community Cichlid is the guy you want to be getting a post by as he is an expert on dwarfs, he's always around and I'm sure he'll spot the thread soon enough. I may even PM him for you.

Well your ph says you are going to want to go with South American new worlds. Mikrogeophagus and apistogramma would be your best bets. 100 liters comes out to about 25 gallons. I'd do one pair it trio depending on which species you want. makes sure the tank is fully cycled before adding any dwarfs since most a re pretty sensitive. Rams or apistogramma cacatuoides would be my picks for a beginning dwarf keeper and they aren't too uncommon.

Thanks for the reply,the cichlids are new to me, for years I was a barb keeper, it was Rams that had caught my eye while researching cichlids over the net, seems to be quite a few variations of them.

Opted to put a pair of German Blue Rams into my tank, I asked for a pair of 2 females as I wasnt sure about breeding just yet, they've now been settled in for 4 days, Just checked my tank and they've dug a pit in the gravel and laid eggs.....is this normal behaviour for 2 females .....I presumed there would have to be a male present before the female would act like this.

Opted to put a pair of German Blue Rams into my tank, I asked for a pair of 2 females as I wasnt sure about breeding just yet, they've now been settled in for 4 days, Just checked my tank and they've dug a pit in the gravel and laid eggs.....is this normal behaviour for 2 females .....I presumed there would have to be a male present before the female would act like this.

Females will lay eggs together but it's not common. Do you have pictures so we can confirm sex for you?

Thanks for the reply, no pics at the moment but I will try to get a few taken in the morning and upload them, been trying to sex them through pics on the net. they are both identical to this
115699_female.jpg

Well males and females are very similar to one another in mikrogeophagus ramirezi. Easily confused to someone who isn't used to it.

How do you sex them, most articles I've been reading up on state that the females have the black streak in their fins, is there an easier why to spot the difference?

If I have been sold a mixed sex pair then might have to think about another tank...birthday coming up soon.. this calls for a few subtle hints to the wife :lol:

I go by as many characters I can see. Females typically have red bellies, slimmer foreheads, jewels in the black dot. males have pronounced dorsal spikes, more brutish foreheads, typically no jewels or red bellies. It's not impossible for females to lay eggs together just a little more rare

Back
Top Bottom