Dwarf Frog Advice Anyone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marknmelissa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Melissa's favorite member of our aquarium is our dwarf frog. We want to get another one tonight. Do any of you have advice on breeding these little guys. Is there any hope of sucess with other fish in the tank or do we need to do something special to help them out. We only have the one tank and I know I'm getting ahead of myself (they might not even like each other), but we'd like to give it a shot.
Thanks guys,
-Mark (and Melissa)

I might not be of much help but it is really quite easy to breed them the females are bigger than the males are and when they breed you can see it. you will know they bred. Their eggs are little black dots that will float on the top and when they hatch the parents WILL eat the tadpoles so be careful. It wouldn't hurt to feed them blood worms frozen is good but i prefer the dried. just make sure your tank checks out okay. the right temperature and I also recommend getting plants for the tadpoles to hide in and maybe a peice of drift wood would be sufficent too. Good luck on the spawning of your frogs!! let me know what happens.

I'm interested in these frogs, but I've read that they are hard to feed. I don't like the idea of lowering a bottle in the tank daily. :roll: Would they get along with some rams and a semi-aggressive gourami?

I don't know about the rams but i have a gourami in my tank and they get along just fine. what do you mean put a bottle in the tank everyday?? they are bottom feeders and they love the blood warms they also will eat regular flake food if they have too.

fish are wonderful to have, horrible to eat

I've read that the frogs are stupid and won't go find the food. Plus the fish always eat all the food before it can get to the bottom.

I had two ADFs and they would eat blood worms from the bottom or from the surface. I never had to use a bottle to feed them.

I had two ADFs and they would eat blood worms from the bottom or from the surface. I never had to use a bottle to feed them.

They do seem stupid and will not "see" a piece of food right in front of them, but they seem to find enough their own little way (picking here and there all over the tank).
-Mark

Maybe I'll try one then and see how it goes. I want to add some rams, too.

Mine are stupid I don't think I see them eating all the time. I just put the food in and let them rip. I think one the blood worms they smell the blood it quite a site. you can see the blood come off of them. They are my adf favorites.

I think MOST of the advice I'm able to give on this site is either from something I just recently learned, or I just know where to look for answers... I am a dedicated google searcher and usually don't give up til I find the best info I can. Well, I like frogs and so I've had this link bookmarked for a long time, so as soon as I saw this post, I knew exactly what link to offer you...
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html
that site has some very detailed info on dwarfs as well as MANY other types of frogs in case anyone is interested... Hope this helps...
and this link: http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/ goes to a list of other species of frogs with all sorts of care info

Back
Top Bottom