Dwarf Gourami bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeborahAnne

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I have a 130 litre tank

I have 2 Pakistani loaches
5 various tetras
I bought a neon blue dwarf Gourami about 3 weeks ago, then this week I bought a flame dwarf Gourami anyway the neon blue is being picky with the flame, won't let him near the top of tank, and chases him around, the poor flame keeps hiding and staying near the back of tank.

I'm wondering if this will settle down at all and will they get along?

I also want to add a angel fish, could this work?

Advice appreciated thanks :)

Hi everyone,

I have a 130 litre tank

5 various tetras
I bought a neon blue dwarf Gourami about 3 weeks ago, then this week I bought a flame dwarf Gourami anyway the neon blue is being picky with the flame, won't let him near the top of tank, and chases him around, the poor flame keeps hiding and staying near the back of tank.

There territorial fish and the flame will continue being picked on. You can always move the decorations around and add more plants (live or fake) to brake up line if sight. Or you could always but the blue in time out in a breeders box. I wouldn't try to add an angel, it will compete for territory with them

There territorial fish and the flame will continue being picked on. You can always move the decorations around and add more plants (live or fake) to brake up line if sight. Or you could always but the blue in time out in a breeders box

Oh I see, would time out stop his behaviour when re released?
And also would an angel fit in ok?

Hi everyone,

I have a 130 litre tank

5 various tetras

Male Gouramis shouldn't be kept with other male Gouramis. If I were you I'd rehome whichever one you like.
As for the angel, how high is your tank? I think they need a 18" deep tank?

I'm not sure the angel would care about the gourami so I would give it a try. The two gouramis however won't get along. It's just in their nature to fight. You might try to replace one of them and get a female gourami to match the one you want to keep. But that's really the only surefire way to make it work.

I'm not sure the angel would care about the gourami so I would give it a try. The two gouramis however won't get along. It's just in their nature to fight. You might try to replace one of them and get a female gourami to match the one you want to keep. But that's really the only surefire way to make it work.

They are like livebearer fish when it comes to male/female ratios. So it would have to be 1m 2-3f. Because of the females drab colour, you'll be lucky to find them

Male Gouramis shouldn't be kept with other male Gouramis. If I were you I'd rehome whichever one you like.
As for the angel, how high is your tank? I think they need a 18" deep tank?

I have a aqua one 620T so it's tall enough for angel fish, as for the Gourami's I may have to take one back then and see if I can't swap for an angel!

Although someone said an angel will work and another it won't work!

I'm a bit confused lol

I have a aqua one 620T so it's tall enough for angel fish, as for the Gourami's I may have to take one back then and see if I can't swap for an angel!

Although someone said an angel will work and another it won't work!

I'm a bit confused lol

That's the internet for you... :blink: Some people say shrimp and bettas don't work together, but it ultimately depends on the personality of the betta. In your case, I would say try an angelfish but be ready to return it if it doesn't work out. And I would probably return the more aggressive Gourami, then you have a higher chance of the angelfish/remaining gourami getting along.

Angels are very temperamental. Some are complete sweet hearts while others seem to be the spawn of satan. It will completely depend on the individual fish.

Back
Top Bottom