Dwarf gourami or betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal high

So far I have 6 zebra danio, 6 glolight tetras, 1 blunt nose minnow (I think) and am planning to get 4 panda or albino Corys.

For my centerpiece I wanted a dwarf g or betta.

Which would you recommend? Would the zebras fin nip with a betta? They seem to have endless energy! Or would you do something else?

Personally, I would go with dg in this case. That is not an ideal tank for zebra danios because of their energy level, but it can be done. I think that a dg has less chance of being overly agitated by the danios than a betta does. Also, I suggest panda cories rather than albino. The pandas stay smaller. :)

If you do go with a DG I would look into planting the tank.

They seem to prefer a heavily planted tank with overhead cover, and in my fairly heavily planted tank you still don't see my DG a lot. I may have a very skittish one though.

Good luck.

I personally have a Dwarf Gourami in my 60 gallon. He is quite active and is a very nice looking fish. He even does the loach dance or what seems to be the loach dance with my three Angelicus Botia.

Or a honey gourami -- they are very pretty once they color up. Betta or gourami I'd get some plant cover for the surface. Frogbit is a very easy floating plant that gourami and bettas tend to like a lot.

Back
Top Bottom