Dwarf puffer diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DannyBWell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got 2 dwarf puffers and have had them for two days and they don't seem to be eating the fish store I got them from was feeding them brine shrimp and I am doing the same is it normal for them not to eat for a few days in a new tank?

Is the brine shrimp live/frozen or freeze dried? Puffers tend to not eat freeze dried or other processed foods. Mine seem fine with frozen brine shrimp. If those aren't working then you could try frozen or live bloodworms many puffers like them

And yes it is normal for some fish not to eat as they are unaccustomed. You might want to check the water in case there is any ammonia or nitrate buildup as that can influence there willingness to eat.

I have a dwarf puffer and she wouldn't eat for a few days. Now, she prefers frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Oh, and live ghost shrimp and snails. She would probably love live bloodworms if I could find some. With the frozen ones, I have to "swim" them around the tank with tongs so she can chase them before she eats them!! LOL! Keep trying, something will work.

And yes it is normal for some fish not to eat as they are unaccustomed. You might want to check the water in case there is any ammonia or nitrate buildup as that can influence there willingness to eat.

Water is fine

Is the brine shrimp live/frozen or freeze dried? Puffers tend to not eat freeze dried or other processed foods. Mine seem fine with frozen brine shrimp. If those aren't working then you could try frozen or live bloodworms many puffers like them

It's frozen brine shrimp same thing the pet store was feeding them

I have a dwarf puffer and she wouldn't eat for a few days. Now, she prefers frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Oh, and live ghost shrimp and snails. She would probably love live bloodworms if I could find some. With the frozen ones, I have to "swim" them around the tank with tongs so she can chase them before she eats them!! LOL! Keep trying, something will work.

Ill have to try some bloodworms maybe they have eaten all the pest snails I had in the tank though

Back
Top Bottom