Dwarf Puffer fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonraho

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

anyone kept dwarf puffer fishes before? Was at the market and noticed one of the shops with the small puffers. I have read and heard they are aggressive fish and towards each other and should be kept in a mono species tank?

Do they eat shrimps? When i saw them i couldn't stop picturing a nano 5 gallon or 10 gallon tank with puffers, white sand, and fire red shrimps lol.

Dwarf puffers are great fish. They do need to be kept by themselves. When they are young they may tolerate other tank mates but when they mature they get territorial. They need a well cycled, stable tank of at least 5 gallons. Most prefer 10 gallons because they like to swim around and explore. They can be tricky to get to eat. They eat small snails and frozen blood worms mostly. You can also feed small amounts of thawed frozen shrimp. Most will not eat dried food and it is not recommended. I fed mine cut up earthworms. You can sometimes keep two dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon if you heavily plant it and provide lots of hiding places. Shrimp may or may not survive. I had ghost shrimp with mine. Here is a great website with a forum dedicated to all things puffer. The Puffer Forum • View forum - Freshwater Puffers

Dwarf puffers are great fish. They do need to be kept by themselves. When they are young they may tolerate other tank mates but when they mature they get territorial. They need a well cycled, stable tank of at least 5 gallons. Most prefer 10 gallons because they like to swim around and explore. They can be tricky to get to eat. They eat small snails and frozen blood worms mostly. You can also feed small amounts of thawed frozen shrimp. Most will not eat dried food and it is not recommended. I fed mine cut up earthworms. You can sometimes keep two dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon if you heavily plant it and provide lots of hiding places. Shrimp may or may not survive. I had ghost shrimp with mine. Here is a great website with a forum dedicated to all things puffer. The Puffer Forum • View forum - Freshwater Puffers

Thanks for the link and info, been reading a few posts.. "NOT COMMUNITY FISH!" in every single one of them! =D

Good i didn't decide to buy some and throw them in my community tank b4 asking around and reading =D

Not sure what the ones in the market were, but they were about 1cm long if that, most certainly Juvs.

Might re consider for now, don't really want a 3rd mono species tank atm. =D

Thanks again!

Thanks for the link and info, been reading a few posts.. "NOT COMMUNITY FISH!" in every single one of them! =D

Good i didn't decide to buy some and throw them in my community tank b4 asking around and reading =D

Not sure what the ones in the market were, but they were about 1cm long if that, most certainly Juvs.

Might re consider for now, don't really want a 3rd mono species tank atm. =D

Thanks again!

Claps for you for researching lol when I was younger I saw the puffers at Walmart and decided they were cute so I got one. Wiped out nearly all of my guppies

Back
Top Bottom