Dwarf Puffer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydney_Jolene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I have a fully cycled, medium planted twenty gallon tank & I'm interested in putting some dwarf puffers in there. How many do you suggest & where should I buy them from? I saw ottos as a possible tank mate.. Is there any other ones? I am not familiar with the species but have always loved them! Any advice would be great! Thanks :)

Hey everyone! I have a fully cycled, medium planted twenty gallon tank & I'm interested in putting some dwarf puffers in there. How many do you suggest & where should I buy them from? I saw ottos as a possible tank mate.. Is there any other ones? I am not familiar with the species but have always loved them! Any advice would be great! Thanks :)

For a twenty gallon the most I would do is three dwarf puffers, one male and two females.

I know ottos are common as tankmates but I'm not familiar with them. You might could do a couple ottos in with only 2-3 puffers, someone else would have to say in terms of not overstocking here as I can't speak for the ottos.

If you're going online, liveaquaria is a great site and they do have the dwarf puffers in stock. The shipping is going to cost more than the fish if you do have to go online though. Especially as I'd think they would need to be added in intervals, versus all three at once, to give the BB time to adjust.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Indian Dwarf Puffer

Do you have a LFS you feel comfortable with that could order them for you to save you on the shipping costs?

Welcome to the forum!! From what I've heard about "pea puffs" they can be kept 1 per 5 gallons, but I don't have much personal experience with those little guys, though I would say otos are probably one of the better choices for tank mates since they are peaceful and good at hiding. Just remember, little puffers are as mean and aggressive as their larger counterparts, if not more so, and liveaquaria.com has them and some information about them as well.... Good luck!!

Thanks everyone for the responses :) amanda_marie.. What does BB mean? Why do you suggest adding at intervals? I've never heard of that before.

Thanks everyone for the responses :) amanda_marie.. What does BB mean? Why do you suggest adding at intervals? I've never heard of that before.

Beneficial bacteria, what consumes ammonia, turns it into nitrites, then nitrites to nitrates, that are removed by water change.

Just meant that adding too many fish at once could potentially cause a mini-cycle if there isn't enough bacteria to support the additional waste.

I have to say I'm more familiar with saltwater when it comes to that but would think its relatively similar. Hopefully someone will come to clarify. Anyway, usually time is given in between adding new stock to give the bacteria a chance to build up and adjust to the new bioload.

If you cycled it well, you could add three if you are watching your levels well. I just finished cycling my 25 gallon tank a few days ago and added three cory cats; even though I could only get the ammonia up to 1 ppm for a short while, and so far (it's been 24 hours) the tank is doing well :)

The tank I'm using has actually been up for months with a pair of angels, four pandas and some rasboras.. But the angels outgrew this tank so I'm wanting to get something new into it. It's also planted.. Which only helps, so I'm thinking I could add all 3 at once at this point!

The tank I'm using has actually been up for months with a pair of angels, four pandas and some rasboras.. But the angels outgrew this tank so I'm wanting to get something new into it. It's also planted.. Which only helps, so I'm thinking I could add all 3 at once at this point!

I would think if the bacteria are present to handle that load of fish it would be able to handle the three dwarf puffers at once as well.

Which may be best, I'd think it would help with any aggression and such to have them in at once.

Would love to see pics when you do please?! I am very keen on these guys too :)

Well I ended up flipping some fish around in tanks & I went with two dwarfs in my planted 10 gallon:) I absolutely love them! He's a picture of one of the little guys :)

Attachments

• image-1373097352.jpg
    image-1373097352.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 93
Well I ended up flipping some fish around in tanks & I went with two dwarfs in my planted 10 gallon:) I absolutely love them! He's a picture of one of the little guys :)

Cute!

I've seriously been thinking of setting up one of my spare, small, tanks for 1-2 of these guys. They're just so adorable!

Good luck with your guys!

How's it going with 2 in your 10g? I have 1 in my 10g alone but I was thinking of getting another one. I can't get enough of that little guy.

Hi I have wanted these for awhile but am not willing to go species onky yet..... anyway I know alot about them because of the research I have done. They have a high bioload appparantly and are obviously very aggressive so only 2 (I saw you got a 10 gallon so that is why I say 2). Ottos are fine as tank mates however they are not recommended in a tank that small. The puffers NEED not want NEED snails to eat. The shells file down their ever growing beaks (that doesnt look spelled right but Inam tired).
Other than that enjoy! They are awesome active little buggers!

He looks great, thanks for the pics...keep us updated on how he gets on feeding etc. All tips and info appreciated!! Have fun with ur new buddy :)

The puffers NEED not want NEED snails to eat. The shells file down their ever growing beaks

Actually, I have found that dwarf puffers do not have to eat snails to file down their beaks while most puffers do. However, I can say that snails are my dwarf puffer's preferred source of food so I keep plenty of snails for him.

Actually, I have found that dwarf puffers do not have to eat snails to file down their beaks while most puffers do. However, I can say that snails are my dwarf puffer's preferred source of food so I keep plenty of snails for him.

Oh really? Disregard my post with overemphansized words than lol
I want one of these but I am not allowed to have another tank.... lol

Back
Top Bottom