Dwarf Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CowMoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i'm asking for a 5 gallon tank this christmas and plan on getting a DP for it. They are so cute :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but anyway what would be the best tank shape for them. As in what would be the best tank shape to be able to make a entertaining tank for the puffer. Also i plan on doing daily water changes of like a cup. Would this work? I have a some tiny snails that get like 4 mm wide and can feed them more to get a good amount of food for the puffer. How often should i feed him food to grind down his teeth? Lastly how should i make the tank fun for the puffer. I don't want him swimming up and down the glass all day long. :thanks:

I'd say get a long 5 gallon tank not a tall one. DPs don't really go to the upper level of the tank. Adding decorations and plants helps to keep your DP entertained, caves and rocks would also be fun as it can give him a place to hide and explore. I don't think you'll need to be too worried about grinding down your DP's teeth but once a week would do. Not too sure about the water changes though you should just change 30% weekly to keep things less tedious instead of doing it daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

DP are the only puffers you don't need to grind their teeth. A member on here has fed them bloodworms their entire lives.

They are messy eaters so change as much water as possible as often as possible.

Having a snail culture and parasite meds on hand are recommended. Many are wild caught and can carry parasites, they are also picky eaters sometimes so the snails will help keep them fed till they accept frozen foods like bloodworms.

Caleb

My DP actually spends a lot of time at the top, but she swims all over the tank. I also feed her frozen bloodworms and other frozen food exclusively (no live food), and she is a good eater! I may just be lucky, though: she was already eating frozen when I got her. And yeah, as Caleb said, no need to do anything about the teeth for a DP.

Back
Top Bottom