Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Help! I purchased 3 yellow/black spotted dwarf puffers yesterday. They all seemed to be doing fine. This morning, when I fed them, I noticed that one of them stayed behind while the others ate. This one eventually came over, but didn't seem to excited. My water parameters this morning were: PH:8.0; ammonia.25;Nitrite.25; and nitrate 5.0. temperature is 81. The problem is that the puffer fish has changed color a bit. It is not as yellow. She seems more greenish today. I know that my water parameters are not great, and I have added a bit of liquid bacteria to the tank, and will check again this afternoon. I also have 4 live plants in the tank, and my substrate is sand.

They are being poisoned by the ammonia and nitrite! You need to do a water change to reduce them both to non toxic levels. Did you cycle the tank? What size tank is it? Any other fish in there? And there is no need to add anything to the tank apart from water and water conditioner .

I cycled the tank in a fishless manner. I switched over from gravel to sand yesterday, but placed my gravel in a nylon stocking in the bottom, so the bacteria could transfer over. I am doing a water change right now....I hope this works!! I do not want to lose this fish.

I just did a 30% wc with vaccuum. My ammonia level and nitrate levels are the same, but my nitrite level is now 0.

lpn4 said:
I just did a 30% wc with vaccuum. My ammonia level and nitrate levels are the same, but my nitrite level is now 0.

Can you test your tap water ? Which water conditioner are you using?

Can you test your tap water ? Which water conditioner are you using?
Just tested our tap water, and found out that it is free of ammonia, but has as much nitrates in it as my tank does. Looking into buying water...Any suggestions? We are no longer going to use tap water for our tanks. :banghead:

Thank you for the links. I know now that the nitrate level is not worrisome. After my water change, my nitrite level is 0ppm, but my ammonia level is 0.25ppm still. I have since place activated carbon in the filter, to help clear up the ammonia. I am hoping this works. Any other suggestions will be much appreciated. :thanks:

Keep up with the water changes and try to feed them in a way that makes less of a mess from their eating behavior. You'll have to do water changes for a while.. And rinse the filter pad when you notice a little bit of waste buildup. Check your parameters often too.

If all of your puffs are not nicely rounded, then treat them for internal parasites. This is a good inexpensive choice: https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/199158/product.web

Good luck

Keep up with the water changes and try to feed them in a way that makes less of a mess from their eating behavior. You'll have to do water changes for a while.. And rinse the filter pad when you notice a little bit of waste buildup. Check your parameters often too.

If all of your puffs are not nicely rounded, then treat them for internal parasites. This is a good inexpensive choice: https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/199158/product.web

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I actually cut their frozen tubifex worms piece into 4 quarters, and give them 1 a day. That is all they eat, and still there are leftovers. Since I am still doing H20 changes daily, I get the opportunity to vaccum up the mess. I check my parameters daily, and have not yet had a day without ammonia. I am looking into having a snail breeding tank, and have some brine shrimp eggs ordered.

Also, I don't believe they are completely rounded, because they have lengthy-ness to them. Hard to describe. I have not seen any puff out yet. However, I researched parasites in puffers, and I do not see any signs or symptoms, such as lethargy or loss of appetite. They all eat well, and swim around quite a bit...I reckon them to "hummingbird fish."

Back
Top Bottom