Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have just recently heard of dwarf puffers and know nothing about them, but I really want to learn!! If anyone has had any sort of experience please let me know. Like what tank size were they kept in. Did you have one or many? Any other species of fish kept with the puffer? What did you feed them? Planted or not planted tank? How long do they live? Please just let me know everything you know.
:thanks:
Myah :fish2:

I had a Dwarf Puffer but didn't have much luck with him. He got a fungal infection and passed. Here is a great website link that covers all things puffer=http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/dwarfpuffercare/ The majority of puffers are wild caught and do not make the transition to tank life. They need a well established tank. Freshwater puffers like planted tanks. You should only have one puffer per tank. Some have kept more in a heavily planted tank but they are territorial and will attack other fish. They are great fish if you are willing to put in the work it takes to care for them. They seem to interact with their keepers more than other fish. I am planning on getting another one after I move.

Thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The transition from the wild to first human keeper is the hardest. Many hobbyist fail to keep their dwarf beyond 3 months due to internal parasites. Avoid the skinny dwarfs if you don't want this problem, but internal parasites can be ridden with some extra work. Definitely not a beginner fish IMO. Almost every dwarf I see at my LFS is skinny.

The transition from the wild to first human keeper is the hardest. Many hobbyist fail to keep their dwarf beyond 3 months due to internal parasites. Avoid the skinny dwarfs if you don't want this problem, but internal parasites can be ridden with some extra work. Definitely not a beginner fish IMO. Almost every dwarf I see at my LFS is skinny.

I definitely agree. I have 2 puffers in a 5.5 gallon heavily planted tank with 2 Amano shrimp. The main problem with puffers is there food. I've done everything from live blackworms to pond snail cultures to frozen bloodworms. Even though a lot of people may say so, you don't have to have very pristine water. Sure, you need good water quality to keep the fish alive and they do need a little bit more attention than other fish. My water reads at around 5 ppm of Nitrates, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a pH value of 7.8 How I feed my puffers is I'll hold a bloodworm in front of their face and they'll just eat the whole thing. Some puffers may be picky and not take them at first, but if you starve them they'll start to eat almost everything. I did notice some aggression from the original puff to the 2nd puff when I added her but they're pals now. I don't recommend keeping any more than 4 puffers in a 10 gallon and that is in a VERY heavily planted tank. My oldest puff has been with me for 8 months and is still going strong and puffs tend to live about 3-4 years when being kept in optimal conditions. I would only recommend this fish if you have had experience feeding finicky fish before. Snails are part of their natural diet, but pond snails are very fatty and aren't the best diet. Blackworms should keep your puffers nice and healthy, although frozen bloodworms should have the same effect. Cool fish and I love mine. If you're up to the challenge and willing to go the extra mile for them then go ahead!

Back
Top Bottom