Dwarf Seahorse unanswered questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrypticDelirium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this besides studying up a LOT and I'd greatly appreciate some help for things not answered on other threads.

I'm taking it as my own person assumption that a taller rather than longer tank would help concentrate the food and there's a 6.6 gal. Fluval chi that SEEMS perfect. SO:

Everything in books is kind of before the "fluvals", has anyone had one to know if the filtration would suck up fry?

I know the water circulation is VERY gentle, but is it enough? Could/should I still add a sponge filter for that little extra, or are there other option to boost circulation a TINY bit without it being too much for them?

And would the LED's provide adequate lighting for their fry?

Also if you know of a great tank for them please let me know, I just want the lil fellas happy and healthy. :p

CrypticDelirium said:
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this besides studying up a LOT and I'd greatly appreciate some help for things not answered on other threads.

I'm taking it as my own person assumption that a taller rather than longer tank would help concentrate the food and there's a 6.6 gal. Fluval chi that SEEMS perfect. SO:

Everything in books is kind of before the "fluvals", has anyone had one to know if the filtration would suck up fry?

I know the water circulation is VERY gentle, but is it enough? Could/should I still add a sponge filter for that little extra, or are there other option to boost circulation a TINY bit without it being too much for them?

And would the LED's provide adequate lighting for their fry?

Also if you know of a great tank for them please let me know, I just want the lil fellas happy and healthy. :p

I thought about going with the chi system, but after some real life expereinces from members here and reviews online, I opted for the ebi system (also fluval) and all I can say is, I'm glad I did!

Thanks! I really like that one actually, I bet they hitch all over the modded rock in the back. Does it need any special modding of equipment or would it be good to go and start cycling as is?

CrypticDelirium said:
Thanks! I really like that one actually, I bet they hitch all over the modded rock in the back. Does it need any special modding of equipment or would it be good to go and start cycling as is?

That's was what made me reconsider my choice. The filter is limited and lighting a bit weak. The open top wat the biggest issue due to quick evaporation and many that had fish jumping out (not a worry for you/sea horses) If you do a search on it, you'll find more info.

The top-offs would be awful (fluctuating salinity) in the Chi.

I'm currently cycling a 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank. (and a ten gallon fry/hospital tank) I was going to go with a sponge filter like the Penn plax small world but believe me don't get it. It needs to be changed every week or two. I'm getting a nano power filter and I'm covering the intake with a sponge. It's more practical and will-clean the tank a lot better than that sponge filter.

Back
Top Bottom